RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

What's Your Workflow?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:48 PM

What's Your Workflow?

I've scanned film negatives & transparencies of photos I've taken over the years, ranging in format from 35mm to 6x6cm. I scanned at optimal scanner resolution (3200, 4800 ppi), at 16-bit depth, with no adjustments. I have several hundred "raw," original, digital images, burned to CDs. Some files are huge: 275+ MB.

I want to process these images for a variety of purposes: e-mails, the Web, 4x6 prints, art prints, magazine covers, calendars, etc.

(I use Photoshop CS1 on a Mac G5. I have an Epson Stylus Photo 1280 inkjet printer. 11x14 is the largest the 1280 can do. I may want to have a larger print made outside, according to the file size's capability.) I just want flexibility in using a file. I'm aware that it's best to reduce to 8-bit before printing.

I'd like to know the workflow any of you would or do use, given what I've told you. That is, you open the "raw" image in PS & then what?

I'll compare what you tell me with what I'm already doing, which needs improvement. I'll comment, ask questions, etc., as appropriate. But, I won't argue with or dispute what you are doing or would do. This is not about "the best" workflow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Patron

Re: What's Your Workflow?

One4UAll, FYI, the Epson 1280 will print up to 13" x 44". I use it regularly to print 12 x 18" on the 13 x 19 " Epson Photo Paper you can purchase in packages of 20 sheets.
Out of time now but perhaps tomorrow I will be able to post workflow preferences.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2007, 01:57 AM

i'll do any retouching or CC to the original image and will only reduce file size/resolution/crop to a copy of the original image, if any changes are needed i will always go back the largest images unless something specific is warranted to the smaller image...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2008, 12:52 PM

As I understand, you want to process huge image files (over 200 mb) for a variety of purposes: e-mails, the Web, 4x6 prints, art prints, magazine covers, calendars, etc.

Checkout www.pixelide.com Their imaging solution could work.. Store all hi-res original image files online. It's Workspace has a custom re-sizing feature. It lets you instantly creates JPG comps to send via lightboxes.. Pro. printing is also built in, just in case you want to order large prints.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Thanks, rmx101. I've bookmarked that Website. But, I'm more interested in workflows in which you (1) open an image; (2) then, what? Do you do a Save As, make a new Background layer, make a Duplicate? I know no one works on the Background image, directly. (3) How & where do you save an image after you're done? (4) What do you do with the saved image, whose file size has probably increased a lot, due to layers? I suppose, for a specific purpose, you open that file, do a Save As, then flatten that file for your purposes. I imagine there are a variety of equal workflow options that people use. I guess I'm really asking about image file management.

I'm not blowing off rmx101's suggestion. That Website may be an answer to how I can market my images & get product to people conveniently, both for them & me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2008, 02:09 PM

Hi again,
Sorry for any confusion. I was under the impression that you needed some solution to re-purpose image files, i.e. create JPG comps in different sizes. Thats why I was suggesting the online custom re-sizing tool at Pixelide

How about trying out the Adobe Lightroom or Apple's Aperture for this type of workflow.. I believe you can create automated tasks with specific output settings. BR.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow