Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Adjust pre or post scan?

Old 12-19-2007, 03:23 AM
Re: Adjust pre or post scan?

Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
and how would you go about such a task?
Its all in the way you flip your negative. You can't just go with the invert option and adjust from there. Once you figure out what the originals negative film base is, that makes it easier.
But in the process I use, you are basically getting a very open and flat scan that has no color cast, no blown out whites and nothing plugged up at the lower end. Then you add in your contrast to suit. You don't really need to know what the original looked like. The process takes about 10 seconds with an action (which is why at 4:00 am I can't quite remember perfectly) or about 5 minutes manually.
The flatness is what does the trick though. Again you are cutting out the middle man and choosing your own gradation and start and end points as opposed to someone who is possibly just knocking out a scan with a canned solution for that piece of film.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Chris, it seems that vuescan doesn't really create an actual .raw file, a quote from a website, which kinda bums me out because the raw technique you mentioned sounds very intriguing :
I had a little discussion with Ed Hamrick, the maker of VueScan about his RAW format. Basically what he said is that it is a normal TIFF file and that there is no point in editing it with Adobe Camera RAW which BTW is not able to open his TIFF file.

Here is his explanation:

The reason Adobe Camera RAW doesn't read TIFF files is because there's
no reason for it to do this. The whole point of Adobe Camera RAW is to take
images from a color filter array (i.e. one color per pixel) and interpolate this
into a three colors per pixel data source.

Scanners already produce 3 colors per pixel and VueScan's raw files have
3 colors per pixel.

The people at Adobe could read VueScan's raw files with about 5 minutes
work, and the files are just normal TIFF files that they could easily read. The
reason they don't do this is because it would be a complete waste of time - the
VueScan raw files are already 3 colors per pixel.

If anyone want to take a peak at a RAW file from VueScan, just let me know and I will do a scan. You have to pay to do that since it is not available in the demo
Would the expert dialog (screenshot attached) in silverfast adjust the gradiations like your talking about? In the quicktime tutorial it seems like the first half adjusts the tones from highlight to shadows from 0-100% in separate channels.

I forgot to convert the .png screenshot to jpg, but I can re-upload a jpg if someone is using internet explorer.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 4.png (25.5 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Chris is on the mark in that a good scan made today for knowledgable client is very similar to a raw file from a camera, in that it has as much imformation as the scanner allows, and it's up to the color person to make a good image out of it. These scans look quite horrible straight off the scanner most of the time, but, ouila, apply a profile and an action or two, and you're in the ball park and off and running. Scanning used to be a high paid skill, but I've seen thousands of scans come of a high end drum scanner recently operated by a $14 an hour high school grad who was valued mostly for his speed and cleanliness. He did no color work at all.
It's a rapidly dying skill, anyway. Any photographer who shoots film these days is just being too damn stubborn to face reality, and costing his clients way too much money in prep.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow