RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

What is your method of whitening eyes and teeth?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:42 PM

Re: What is your method of whitening eyes and teet

I'm not suggesting Adjustment layers are a waste of time per se. I use them, though not as often as most.

I'm saying that an adjustment layer for teeth is a waste of time. If I used an adjustment layer for every tiny edit that I made, my document would be a quagmire of layers.

Another thing - I'm sick of this "adjustment layers are non-destructive" nonsense. Of course they're non-destructive while the image exists only in Photoshop, but eventually they need to be applied so the image can be used in the "real world" - ie web or printing. At that point, the "destruction" occurs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2007, 11:20 PM

i tried the davve Cox method today and it was a way quicker more accurate fix on yellow teeth- dave Rocks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2007, 12:16 AM

I'm another user of method Dave described. I learned it from a Scott Kelby a video borrowed from the library.

re: Layer quagmire potential
I know what you mean, Damo... It happens to me when I get lazy and don't label layers. It's a matter of workflow preferences and in my case wanting assurance I can make adjustments after the fact. I do in fact merge layers at certain points in a project to maintain layer sanity. It just depends.

========

re: whitening eyes
* Add an adjustment layer (makes no difference which kind)
* Change layer blend mode from Normal to Screen
* Ctrl + I to invert the mask
* Airbrush white on mask where needed

Ultimate flexibility with mask; no increase in file size when using an adjustment layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 10:41 PM

I find the Hue/Sat. method that Dave mentioned gives the most realistic results because it leaves some yellow color in there. While there's no right way this is what works best for me.
As far as selecting, if you use an adj. layer you can click the mask button and paint in where you need the adjustment (much like quickmask) , and you can change that later if you want.

For eyes I use a masked curves adj. layers to click up a curve for eye's and will take the red curve in to reduce any redness in the eye. Also the info palette is a must to determine any color cast in the eye's.

Quote:
Another thing - I'm sick of this "adjustment layers are non-destructive" nonsense. Of course they're non-destructive while the image exists only in Photoshop, but eventually they need to be applied so the image can be used in the "real world" - ie web or printing. At that point, the "destruction" occurs.
I really don't understand the statement, of course there only non destructive in a .PSD file. The purpose of the non-destructive adj. layers is that you can change a curve all day and not hurt the original image data, if you do a Cmd+M and keep adjusting the curves you are changing the image data and losing image data. They make changes possible without any data loss. You make changes in your .PSD file and export to a .jpg, .tiff for output to the web or print.

I love using adjustment layers because here great to come back later and re adjust and re tweak later.Some people don't like em and thats fine, but I wouldn't recommend them being a waste of time.

Last edited by AdamZx3; 12-23-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo77 View Post

no, they don't have to be applied..quite a few ad agencies will only accept psd files as they can be used with indesign without any problems...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2007, 05:23 PM

Come on, let's not be naive. Eventually those PSDs are flattened by InDesign (at the point of PDF for output), at which point the adjustments are applied, and the gaps in the 8-bit histogram become reality.

I'm not saying it's a good thing - I hate those gaps as much as anyone. But I'm not labouring under the misapprehension that "adjustment layers keep me safe".
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo77 View Post
Come on, let's not be naive. Eventually those PSDs are flattened by InDesign (at the point of PDF for output), at which point the adjustments are applied, and the gaps in the 8-bit histogram become reality.

I'm not saying it's a good thing - I hate those gaps as much as anyone. But I'm not labouring under the misapprehension that "adjustment layers keep me safe".
Thats a good point. I just meant that they prevent image loss from excessive image manipulation with curves. It is true that they will have gaps sooner or later.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 03:22 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

There are plug-ins that make this particular task quick and effortless.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow