Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

MAYBE going to Mac from PC, need advice

Old 12-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Re: MAYBE going to Mac from PC, need advice

Originally Posted by Marni48 View Post
My husband told me to go ahead and get a new monitor for my Christmas gift YEAAAAAAA. So, now I am going to need lots of advice on which to buy, I don't want to make a mistake and be back to square one again. I will also get the calibration software and will need some advice on those also. j
I hope to spend around 300$ for the monitor and then the calibration system, hopefully for under 200$

I don't understand this color management stuff at all, I must be dense. I heard there is a color management for dummies that is supposed to be pretty simple so I am going to go to the book store and check it out and see if I can understand it. As far as a printer profile, now I am REALLY confused.
Sorry didn't mean to confuse you! The subject of color management isn't easy to understand, and will come with time. I would say for now a printer profile is not necessary.

I would recommend the Eye-one Display 2 LT, as it does everything you'll need and more, and is super easy to set up. As far as a monitor, the only middle grade I know of that produces acceptable results are the Apple cinema displays (which also work on a PC) You can get a 20" refurbished for $499 . Be careful of average joe reviews such as the ones on newegg etc.. they raved about my acer monitor and I was highly disappointed with the performance. If you want to stick around the $300 range maybe someone can help there. You may not even need a new one if you calibrate your current monitor, (unless you want a new one ).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 08:46 PM

Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all the advice, Murray, I am going to set things up like you said, (hopefully my brain will work correctly LOL). I will try printing a pix again and pray it looks at least somewhat like my monitor. I still think I will end up having to buy a monitor too and the calibration, I will check out all the suggestions.

This is such a great site, I am really thankful for all the people who are willing to give a hand to people like me who just hobby around with retouching, it is really kind of all of you!!!!!

Adam, you didn't confuse me, I was born confused LOL LOL LOL LOL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 09:09 PM

I use a Mac, with color calibration hardware and the above mentioned procedures. I have found it easier to get, and maintain, color callibration on my Mac g5's than on my PCs - I have 2 Mac g5's (with apple monitors), an Intel Mac laptop, and 2 pc's, all running Photoshop CS3. I have not had success with color calibration on my laptop, so basically I just leave it "good enough" and use one of my other computers to check the colors before I send out or print anything.

Just a personal opinion after working in the repair department of a major computer store chain - don't buy ANYTHING made by Acer if you can avoid it - their hardware came in for service often, and are a hassle to get serviced under warranty (at one time we had to ship stuff to France, I kid you not!).

Good luck with all of this - color callibration is complex, but with patience you should get it! I am lucky - my work is entirely digital, so unless I have to send a "paper" picture to my mum - I just need to worry about how it looks on monitors and TV's (I'm a video producer).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2007, 01:14 AM

Color management is a rather complex thing.
It starts from a good monitor, a good calibration hardware or calibration system and color profiles.
I work with a Powermac G5, HD Apple Cinema Display, Eye-One calibrator and a Epson 1290. After calibration of display, I print via PS (Adobe RGB) and printer- and paperprofile , which I have from a calibration service and have a perfect result. I think, if you have a GOOD monitor and all mentined items, you can have the same result with a PC and see on your monitor (95%) what's comming out of the Epson printer.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow