RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Best way to resize pix for printing at a lab?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:44 AM

Best way to resize pix for printing at a lab?

When you scan photos and save as a tif that gives you a huge file for archiving, but if you want to send it out to print, the lab only will print a little over a 1 mg file. If I use the resize wizard in PS 7 (under help menu) what settings should be used? It asks you what type of halftone screen LPI will be used to print your image, and then it gives you choices of 150 200 or other.

They only accept .jpg files so I need to make the conversion, what would be the best way?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Re: Best way to resize pix for printing at a lab?

Save a copy as a high resolution JPEG at the correct size (5x7, 4x6, etc). Do keep your original TIFF or PSD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Patron

If the limit is only 1MB, the 1st thing I would do is find another photo lab. Is there a Costco near your home? They do really excellent work and will acceot files as large a 8MBe each on line. They even offer free ICC profiles for their Noritsu printers.
If you have no other choice but a 1M limit, size your image to the print size at a 300 dpi resolution and Save As a jpg starting at setting 12 and keep lowering it until the preview window shows a file size that drops below 1MB.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2007, 06:06 PM

A Costco? LOLOLOLOLOL We are so far in the boondocks we are lucky to have a Wal Mart. Well actually we don't even have a Wal Mart, it's 40 miles up the road.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
If the limit is only 1MB, the 1st thing I would do is find another photo lab
I think Murry hit the nail on the head with that remark. We don't like files under 1MB at our lab. We tell our (very happy) customers bigger is better-and we like to see TIFFS when possible.....Then again I guess if we were simply a 1 hour lab things would be different.

Quote:
A Costco? LOLOLOLOLOL We are so far in the boondocks we are lucky to have a Wal Mart. Well actually we don't even have a Wal Mart, it's 40 miles up the road.
Swampy, our closest Wally World is about 90 miles away.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 10:25 AM

Actually, I'm no Walmart fan. I'm just as glad it's some distance away. They are currently building a third "version" in our area in less than 20 years. Walmart just keeps leaving empty huge buildings scattered around that stand empty and unused for years. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2008, 12:23 PM

Hi Dee Dee

I heard we MIGHT be getting a Target (tarjeeeeeh). I will be doing the happy dance of joy!!!!! I am going to try to call you this week for a coffee

Marni
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2008, 12:28 PM

Okee doke, Marni. I want to hear all about that new monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 PM

I'm not sure about Cosco or Target - but I know Walmart doesn't do any sort of color correction. If you don't have the software to correct your photos you should find a privately owned printing business.

I work at a locally owned photolab, and I can tell you that even if you DO color correct your photos you may want to find a place that does color corrections anyways - sure those extra couple of cents (Canadian) may add up on each print... but in the end all of your photos are color corrected by someone who's been doing it for a while.

Besides, the machines need to be calibrated daily... sometimes they're very accurate, sometimes they're off a touch - enough to notice. The technician printing your work will know this and be able to make sure your prints are done correctly.

I don't know about EVERY walmart but I know the local ones have poorly trained or inexperienced individuals mixing their chemicals, which results in bad colors - and even worse, your prints could fade in years or even MONTHS on account of these poorly mixed chemicals. And hey, you're supporting your local economy when you buy from a private shop... and you get to know the people, which is always nice :p
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Patron

Stephen, none of those photo labs you mentioned manage color, so the customer needs to do it right. However, that being said, there is a way to get consistent accurate prints and here is one example.
Costco labs use high end Noritsu printing systems. Most locations have two sets of equipment. One is set up for the consumer that knows nothing about color management. It reads the customer file and does auto correction of contrast and color and resizes if necessary. Then there is a 2nd set of equipment which processes the files with no corrections whatsoever for those customers and professionals who can properly prepare files. Now here comes the good part. You can go to http://www.drycreek.com and download free ICC profiles for the exact equipment at every Costco,. These are professionally accurate and reliable. After editing your image you convert a copy of it to the ICC profile for that location and that is the image you upload (if you use the online ordering). You need to be sure when you fill in the online order that you check the box that says NO ADJUSTMENTS (or CORRECTIONS). You images print exactly as they look (assuming a reasonably accurate monitor and the image converted to the printer profile). They print on Fuji Archival Paper with archival inks, so they will last decades longer in the sunlight than you or I will.
Many of the other Big Box labs use the same equipment. Some are run by inexperienced, unknowledgeable people, others are run by 3rd party professionals - you need to check out who you are dealing with. I am not sure where in Canada you live, but if it is in any of the major cities you might want to try Costco. I was not happy with the others. There are also some labs which oversize your image by 5% to compensate for not being able to align the printer to the media. That is totally unacceptable.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow