RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Scanning Negatives With A Mirror

Old 01-03-2008, 10:05 PM

Scanning Negatives With A Mirror

I was curious if someone could fulfill my curiosity regarding this subject - I have a scanner, but I don't have a decent mirror to try it out with (as mine are all mounted to the wall).

Put a negative on to be scanned, but instead of using the light which comes with your scanner, instead use a mirror so the light from the scanning head reflects back.

If you could post a comparison between the mirror method and the back-lighting method I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Patron

Re: Scanning Negatives With A Mirror

Unless it is a frontsurface mirror and if it works.. wouldnt you get something akin to a double exposure because of the diffraction by the depth between the glass and the mirror surface.. also you are not getting reflected light.. you would be getting light that has been initially filtered by the negative then bounced back through the negative again.. Just my random thoughts... Then again.. maybe it will work
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 01:17 AM

Well, SOME scanners have a VERY limited DOP (Depth of Field). However I recently dismantled one that not only had an insane DOP, it also had a pretty impressive light sensitivity.

I guess it depends on the scanner, but I can definitely see ghosting being a problem - although I guess you could frost/glaze the mirror if it's not an important one.

However, so far as light quality goes I guess my only concern is being able to do produce usable scan on the cheap (I.E.: Without a lighting unit).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Patron

It may seem like cheating but when I had a few negatives to scan I just cleaned them good and went to WallyWorld and had them printed and put on disc

Enough of my silliness... I am going to bed!! Someone give this OP a decent answer...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow