RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Scanned Slide Storage

Old 05-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Re: Scanned Slide Storage

I scanned and restored 2,300 old slides for my sister-in-law. Because I can't resist playing with the image, I have multiple edits of the best ones with different effects. Even though I have a Nikon slide scanner, it took awhile. The results were spectacular and I want to make sure I don't lose them. So...

I added a 500GB second hard drive to my computer - bought it and had it installed at BB for about $150. I use it as a backup drive with the extra space designated as a scratch disc for Photoshop. I also burned the images to DVDs, although I had a problem that I didn't anticipate.

When I burned the DVDs, the files were all in the 50 MB size. On trying to view the images from the disk, the files were so large that my computers - both of them less than a year old with good RAM - would just hang after awhile, never loading all the previews. I'm making six copies of the collections for the relatives, and they don't all have new computers, so I reduced the files to about 28 MB each. I did it one by one, so it took forever. The slides were of different sizes so the final image sizes are not the same on all of them.

Next time I want to resize a large number of images, is there a way that I can do it automatically? I just purchased Lightroom 2 but haven't installed it yet. Will that do it and is it difficult? Any other suggestions.

I'm going to be doing this for a business and like to scan large images. I think the images are better and I like the ability to crop for a close up. Most clients are not going to want or need file sizes that large, so I'll probably do 2 sets. One to edit and one to burn for the client. Resizing suggestions anyone?

Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2009, 10:17 PM

I use a Nikon Coolscan V which permits the user to choose the format he or she wants to save it in. Does yours? I use jpeg format which reduces the amount of space a file takes up in computer memory. I used to save scanned slides as tiffs but they eat up memory and for my purposes I don't need that format. I use PSE to process my images. I don't know how powerful your computer is, but the larger the file the longer it will take to process, it would seem, even if the difference is marginal. If I work directly from the external hard drive, there's no signifcant lag. The difference on my old computer was significant. So maybe more processing power and/or smaller files may help.

Bob Green
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 PM

As I was logging off I remembered that PSE also lets you choose formats for saving images. I'm not familiar with Lightroom, but maybe it will do the same thing.

Bob G

PS How long did it take you to scan 2300 images? I'm slogging through 30 years of slides and hope to finish before I buy the farm.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2009, 11:37 PM

I have a new computer with adequate RAM. The files were just sooo big. Figure a whole movie's worth of information in about 90 images. Trying to pull up thumbnails was just too time consuming and gave the computer brain cramp.

I chose to save in TIFF because I wanted the quality image and the freedom to edit without the deterioration of JPEGs. I just should have reduced the image size when finishing the edit, instead of having to go back and open each one up again. Sigh... Live and learn.

It took about a month, but this was my first order and I did a bunch of serious restoration at the same time. Then I learned more and improved the images some more. Then I learned more... LOL! You could say I'm a perfectionist. I'm waaay faster now than I was when I started!

And now, when I go in to reduce each one, I tweak it a little more. Viveza is great for lightening shadows on faces, and I don't think I used it as much as I could have to begin with. I have a better eye now. I'm almost done reducing files. It's a good thing I have to burn and send these or I'd tweak forever. There will be some great prints if they decide to print them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2009, 02:51 AM

Hey Bob, I'm gonna stay away from the computertech stuff except to say that if you have a pc you are likely to find the usb 2.0's on the front with 1.0's in the back of the box.
http://www.scantips.com/calc.html
Here is a scanning calculator for you. I am actually scannning 35 mm film negatives for archive as I type and...
I'm scanning them in at 24 bit, at 1200 dpi. If your origionals are 4x6 and you scan at 600 dpi, you will have more than enough info for an 8x10 print, and at half the file size you quoted. Some scanners will quote huge numbers dpi but at some point they begin to use interpolation (ya, they guess) they just start throwing pixels in your image in an effort to make it bigger. Food for thought.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 AM

My have the hard drive costs decreased...one of the few things..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow