RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

ViewSonic Perfect Suite Question

Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 PM

ViewSonic Perfect Suite Question

I just got my VP930b LCD monitor. I am calibrating but have a question about the contrast portion of the wizard.

During this part, it asks you to use the slider to set contrast. There are 3 numbers showing on a pattern with graduating white squares. You are supposed to slide the contrast up to where you can only see 2 of the numbers. I can see all the numbers clearly no matter what I do. Any suggestions? I did call ViewSonic today but had to hang up after 45 minutes waiting for Tech support, cause I had to teach. I also have e-mailed them, but nothing so far and I want to get to work. My monitor is sitting with my back to a window, but I also can see the numbers even when the lights are off or in other lighting conditions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM

Re: ViewSonic Perfect Suite Question

get a calibration device. what you are attempting to do is not a valid calibration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
get a calibration device. what you are attempting to do is not a valid calibration.
+1

Using that kind of a calibration will not work very well, sometimes it's worse. Having a hardware calibrator to analyze the screen is the only sure thing. Also you need to get some kind of drape or heavy blind to eliminate the window light. Not only can the window create a ever so changing color cast, but it will also create un stable lighting levels. At night you'll have more contrast and in the daytime contrast will be less, making your print matching once again un-reliable.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZx3 View Post
+1

Also you need to get some kind of drape or heavy blind to eliminate the window light.
Hope this helps.

if it wasn't for the xmas party...i wouldn't know what some of the people i work with looked like!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 PM

oh haha now I get it (I must be a little slow ) I was thinking....what does that have to do with window li......OOOOOHHH lol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Patron

Marni, its OK. On the VP series you will not see the numbers disappear. The monitor is new and has both high contrast and high brightness ranges. Just get it as close as possible. The rest of the calibration will fall into place.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 PM

HappyGirl!! ViewSonic Monitor matches my prints

I should be singing the Hallalajuh Chorus!!!!!!!! FINALLY my monitor looks like the prints I got printed, I am a really happy camper. Thanks to all who helped, especially Murray, who helped me so much during the process of buying a new monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2008, 06:38 PM

Re: HappyGirl!! ViewSonic Monitor matches my print

what was it that made this happen exactly?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Patron

Re: HappyGirl!! ViewSonic Monitor matches my print

Marni, congratulations on getting the monitor up and your color management under control! You should find the monitor extremely stable and will not need recalibration for quite a while.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2008, 05:35 PM

Hi PixelZombie

I had an awful Dell monitor (even though this computer it came with is less than a year old) that was giving me false colors and I could not calibrate it even with Adobe Gamma or any other software out there. I tried them all that I found online. I knew I had to purchase a new monitor so I asked everyone here for advice and finally ended up with the VP930b 19" LCD monitor. As soon as I plugged it in I could tell the difference and then when my pix came back from the lab the colors were almost right on perfect.

For my purposes, (I am restoring family pix) this monitor should be perfect, I am truly more interested in making sure that flesh colors are good and so far, I am happy.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow