Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

GE Reveal Light Bulbs good or bad?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 PM
GE Reveal Light Bulbs good or bad?

For lighting a room where you will be retouching, I found GE reveal light bulbs. I wondered if anyone is familiar with them. They supposedly cast a clear light in the room without any yellow or color casting so I wondered if they would be a good choice to light the room. I will be using them in overhead in a fan with a light kit. This is the info from thier site.

• Transform every room in your home from ordinary to extraordinary with Reveal® bulbs

• Reveal's unique neodymium glass filters out dull, yellow rays, unlike regular soft white bulbs, leaving you with enhanced, vivid surroundings.

Lamp type Incandescent - A-line
Bulb A19
Base Medium Screw (E26)
Filament CC-8
Bulb Finish Reveal Clear
Wattage 100
Voltage 120
Rated Life 750 hrs
Bulb Material Neodymium
Primary Application Standard
Initial Lumens 1300
Nominal Initial Lumens per Watt 13
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Re: GE Reveal Light Bulbs good or bad?

I don't think they would be good as replacements for 5000K bulbs used in true color-controlled environments, but they do kill the yellowish cast seen in standard light bulbs. The "science" behind these bulbs is just the glass used. If you check them out in the store, you'll see that they are tinted blue, which kills yellow light, thus making them more neutral. Noticeably more neutral than standard bulbs, but not to be confused with 5000K lighting.

I use Reveal bulbs in my home because I prefer more neutral lighting and don't like the dingy yellow of standard bulbs. So on a reduced budget, I'd say they are good! More important to me is the control of ambient light - like windows and doors.

My two cents,
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2008, 03:42 PM

You might want to look at the Compact Florescent Bulbs from companies like TCP or Panasonic and many others. They are low in heat and long in life, stable light output. I only use the Daylight which emits a bright white that just touches on the edge of blue but is not quite Blue like the Cool White bulbs. I find this the best for phoptoediting but some find the cool colors tough on their eyes.
I have used Panasonic 28EFT50 which are equivalent to a 100W bulb and now use TCP28942-51K which are powerful 150 watt equivalent bulbs. TCP manufactures a very large variety of output and color temperature ranges.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2008, 03:56 PM

turn off the lights in the room. problem solved. nothing that you only spend a few bucks on is going to be consistent nor of the right color temp. Look at how much viewing booths cost. rent a color meter and test and you'll see what I mean.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 AM

Walmart has the GE Chroma50 florescents that go by the name Sunshine. They are 5000K with a CRI accuracy rating of around 91, 100 being perfect accuracy.

I have three 18" T8's and they are quite neutral looking. I have yet to find a bulb type florescent that was more neutral. I tried the Sylvania's 6500K and they were way too blue green and I sent them back.

I've used the GE Reveal years ago and they were just way too reddish looking to do color editing on a 6500K calibrated display. They do give your skin a healthy glow though.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow