RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Question on Printing Photo Art

Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 PM

Question on Printing Photo Art

Hello everyone,

Great to have found this online community. I have just enjoyed myself surfing and reading the various sub forums and am just amazed at the talent pool and helpfulness of the members.

I have a noobie question on printing and I hope this is the right place for it.

I have tried my hand at converting a few photos to "oil painting" and "water color". As a part of the process, a canvas (or special paper) effect was added to the piece. Should I print on canvas (giclee type or similar) with the canvas effect or should I reconvert the photos and omit adding the canvas texture. Would love to hear what you all do.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2008, 01:21 AM

Re: Question on Printing Photo Art

Hello Amritendu
Welcome to Retouchpro!

I used an Epson 9800 to print on Canvas and textured Art Paper. I do not use canvas or paper texture in the artwork itself. I know of people who present proofs to their clients with canvas textures and tell the client it is simulated. I present a proof of the artwork without any texture as most people understand the texture is within the canvas not the artwork.
Hope that makes sense.
~Nancy

www.PhotoArt123.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2008, 08:00 AM

Hello Amritendu,
It may depend on your intended audience. If for home use, it is certainly your personal preference. If for commercial purposes, I think it depends very much on who is likely to view and possibly purchase the print.

Locally, I have seen many prints converted to water color via PS and printed on satin/smooth finished paper. I have many friends that will not buy those because we all know how they are done and about how long it took to do it. However, there obviously is a market for that version, as they do sell. In this area though, they tend to sell at the flea markets and malls.

Many friends my age and I prefer a numbered and signed print of an actual water color on textured papers. These are done with no additional effect in PS. Thus, we search the smaller art shops for such prints. We tend to be especially lucky while on vacation in the beach or mountain communities. There are some very good photographers in those areas with wonderful shops and very up-to-date equipment. (Must be a good place to retire !)

On a recent trip, a photographer had all of her own work matted and framed with no special effects, printed on "standard" paper (no texture). It was her photography which stood out, not the print style. Her wildlife prints were quite stunning. There was no need to alter the originals in any way other than the basic exposure, cropping and sharpening. Her prints were selling very well.

Hope that helps some. Good luck !
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 AM

Thank you Nancy and Tommy for your replies. I think I got my answer. I will have to get rid of the canvas texture when I want to print on canvas. BTW, the prints are intended for myself and gifts to close friends and relatives.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2008, 12:33 PM

You're very welcome. Prints make great gifts. Make sure you ask about the paper being used and also very important is which printer they use as it will vary from company to company. I use Hahnemühle Willian Turner fine art paper for watercolors and pastels as it prints beautifully on my 9800 and comes in small sheets up to 44' wide rolls. It is acid free and has a beautiful surface. It is expensive as papers go - but worth the price. I also know people who have my same printer and use Hahnemühle Etching paper with great results. Also I always use a UV protective coating as it helps protects during the shipping process.
Good luck with your projects.
~Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 11:28 AM

Nancy,

Thanks again for your thoughts. I am really looking at printing on canvas and was wondering should I still keep the canvas texture for "added" effect or will it become too much.

The expensive paper you suggested are worth their price, absolutely as you stated.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I should post it in this one...I don't have a printer and I generally go to Costco for getting my photos printed.
I was wondering where does other people who don't have a printer get their photo art printed on a high quality paper? Not sure if Costco gives an option to bring our own paper and get it printed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM

Look for art printing in your area.
This link is an example:
http://fantasyartdesign.com/toronto-giclee-prints.htm
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow