RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

IPF8000 Profile

Old 04-01-2008, 03:27 AM

IPF8000 Profile

Hello everyone, this is my first visit to this forum so I thought I would say hi first.

I am looking for some advice re a canon IPF8000 and Apogee X.

Apogee X Print Drive is running on Win2K, Apogee X runs Win2003 Server.

We use a magic eye sort of tool to produce an ICC profile from test pages printed on the IPF8000, the created profile has a .icc extension. If I go into Apogee X Print Drive RIP to add the IPF8000 as a proofer even if the .icc file is in the correct folder on the system it is not picked up in the dropdown box where you select the profile for the device. The other files are .icm could anyone tell me what the difference is and can I convert the .icc to .icm?

Regards

Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Patron

Re: IPF8000 Profile

Paul, welcome to RP!
The standard file extension for ICC profiles on Windows is "ICM". A Microsoft decision. Note however, the file format is the same as one ending in "ICC" and they are completely interchangeable. You should not have any difficulty using either file in an ICC-aware application.
As for having the profile show up in the pull down menu, there are different locations where your application finds the profile. If you are using PS, there are different places depending on which version you are using. If you are using CS3, look to see if you profile is in C \ Program Files \ Common Files \ Adobe \ Color \ Profiles.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the reply Murray, I think the problem is more to do with AGFA and their Apogee X system, they really don't like you buying alternative hardware to their kit.

Are you saying I can rename the .icc to .icm?

Do you have any expierience of Apogee X?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Patron

Paul, you should not need to remane the profile .icm. Also a profile is a profile and your application should recognize it if it is placed in the correct folder. It may be that the folder location is changed from the documentation. For example in Windows, another location that is checked for color profiles is C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\Color. I have seen flyers on Apogee X but have no experience with it. If you are able to search the directories try searching for .icm and .icc.
There is one other possibility. Sometimes the profile is encapsulated in a .icm profile for the hardward device. A utility is used to generate the profile but the s/w embeds it into the profile for that h/w device. So you may or may not be able to access it.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow