Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

printing professional quality photos

Old 04-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Re: printing professional quality photos

Originally Posted by duwayne View Post
Damien - I found pepole very reluctant to part with the original photo. I tell them to take it to a local camera store and have it scanned to CD. They either ftp the file to my server or mail me the CD. Work great. Good scans and happy customers.
Thanks duwayne, that's a good idea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Duwayne, if you are planning to give Costco a try this is important. After you upload and select the image(s) you want to print, near where you select the size and finish there is a check box that says Do Not Make Any Adjustments. Make sure you check that one.
Costco typically runs tow sets of printers. One has auto color, auto contrast, and auto sizing for customers who are not technical. If you check No Adjustments, your images are printed on the equipment used mostly for professional photographers and businesses. They make no adjustment and assume that your images have been converted to the the profiles you downloaded from Drycreek (even if the icc profile is not embedded in the file). So what you output is what you will get.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2008, 08:35 PM

Thanks Murray, I'll keep that in mind. Cord Camera basically does the same thing. The default is a standard set of corrections but if you teel them no corrections or adjustments they will print them as-is and they do a very nice job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nanls View Post
I have an Epson 9800 printer and I still took my portfolio samples to Costco. You can send them a profile; they have nice mat paper and their price is good. Pain in the a** to print and trim multiple 8"x10" on a wide format printer.
Hope this helps.

I ran into almost the exact same problem. I have the Stylus Pro 7800. It will print on small media, but it's more trouble than it's worth getting it lined up if you're printing single cut sheets. And it's definitely a pain trimming multiples off the roll. I image it's even worse for you. My roll cutter at least accommodates a 36" print. What does the 9800 do? 48" or 64"? Or is the 64" the 11800?

Anyway, I went and got the 4800 for smaller prints. A lot less cumbersome, and still does a lot of the larger (though not too large) portraits, like the 16 × 20s. My material costs (vs. the labor involved) to purchase cut sheets for smaller media ended up being a wash, and they run through the 4800 without any issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 04:51 AM

I have Fuji 355 Laser print processor Epson 9800 Kn Type inkjet printer and Chromira 30 and in my suggestion Chromira is No1 out put source even if you compare it with quality or price with anyother machine.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow