RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

printing professional quality photos

Old 04-14-2008, 04:00 PM

printing professional quality photos

hi i have a question about printing photos. I'm in the midst of starting up my own photo restoration/retouching business. i'll be doing it out of my home through a website set up so people can email me their photos. in terms of printing, i am not ready to invest in a home printer .. i think i should first see how this whole venture works out for me before putting out too much money. therefore, i will need to take the restored photos somewhere to be printed. i am thinking that i probably can't be using walmart or snapfish as my method of printing lol so this is the part i was hoping you all could help me with. what type of places should I go to get professional quality photos printed on archival paper? also, i'd prefer to have the option to send in my photos online if the need arises, rather than having to drop off and pick up the prints. would i take/send them to a store dedicated to cameras, such as The Camera Shop ( http://www.thecamerashop.com/ )? any suggestions and specific resources would be greatly appreciated.

also, just for future reference ... what types of printers are the best (while also reasonably priced) for printing photos? laser or ink jet? and what brand/models are good?

thanks. i look forward to any advice you can give!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Patron

Re: printing professional quality photos

Is there a Costco near where you live? They use high end Noritsu printers on archival Fuji Paper. You can download a customer icc profile so that your prints will be color accurate (assuming your workflow manages color and your monitor is calibrated).
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 05:29 PM

the epson inkjets with the K3 inks give very good results...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 11:36 PM

hi tinkerbella and welcome to RP.

since this is a printing question and not a restoration question, i'm moving this thread to a more appropriate forum. hopefully, you'll get the responses you need, there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Is there a Costco near where you live? They use high end Noritsu printers on archival Fuji Paper. You can download a customer icc profile so that your prints will be color accurate (assuming your workflow manages color and your monitor is calibrated).
Regards, Murray
do you happen to have the link for that profile?..i'm curious to see how it compares to a Lambda...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 AM

A lot of photographers I know use Mpix ( http://www.mpix.com/ ) for their printing needs, especially when the photo is a large one. Results are good, color quality is good. Turn around time is also good. Their site is pretty easy to navigate.

Good Luck,

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbella197 View Post
I'm in the midst of starting up my own photo restoration/retouching business. i'll be doing it out of my home through a website set up so people can email me their photos.
I also do this as a small sideline, and the trouble with it is, you can't really let people scan their own photos and email them for restoration.

I've got a good scanner - well, better than the average person's scanner, anyway, it's an Epson V700. So I can get much better results by doing my own scans, than letting the average Joe scan on their all-in-one scanner/copier/fax machine with a Dmax barely higher than 2.

So if people request restorations, I try to arrange them to post the photos to me. That's always touchy, though, when it's a precious family relic.

Anyway, I just thought I'd thrown that in, to see if you'd considered it, and also to hear other people's experiences.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2008, 11:14 PM

I have an Epson 9800 printer and I still took my portfolio samples to Costco. You can send them a profile; they have nice mat paper and their price is good. Pain in the a** to print and trim multiple 8"x10" on a wide format printer.
Hope this helps.
~Nancy

www.PhotoArt123.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2008, 05:22 AM

Thanks Murray for the tip to use Costco. I've used Cord Camera and got nice results.

Damien - I found pepole very reluctant to part with the original photo. I tell them to take it to a local camera store and have it scanned to CD. They either ftp the file to my server or mail me the CD. Work great. Good scans and happy customers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2008, 06:22 PM

here's the link to get the profiles:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow