RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Getting Accurate Prints: PS CS3 and Epson R800

Old 06-08-2008, 12:59 AM

Re: Getting Accurate Prints: PS CS3 and Epson R800

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
if they don't have profiles for their paper you could pay to have one made but it'll be about $100 for such a service...
Oh that is very interesting. Where would I go to get a profile made? It might be worth it for the long run as this will be something that is ongoing.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

EDIT:
I see Dry Creek isn't doing this anymore. Know of anyone else that does it? I really have to get this paper to work.

Last edited by rnbluvva; 06-08-2008 at 01:27 AM. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 01:36 AM

it turns out i found a place that could make profiles cheaper than i can:

http://www.inkjetart.com/custom_profiles/

the only downside i see is that you have to print 3 pages as opposed to the 1 page target i use...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
it turns out i found a place that could make profiles cheaper than i can:

http://www.inkjetart.com/custom_profiles/

the only downside i see is that you have to print 3 pages as opposed to the 1 page target i use...
OK well I'll have a look. You do print profiling also? I've never done this type of thing before, so it would be a good learning experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 02:07 AM

yes, i do profiling...i haven't been doing it for very long mind you but i had a very good teacher...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
yes, i do profiling...i haven't been doing it for very long mind you but i had a very good teacher...
OK that is good to know. I may see if you are able to do it if I make no headway here on my own or have no luck with the other place.

This is a custom project I'm rolling out on my site and I may just postpone it for a while until the album proper is out. I'm getting the proper album inserts printed out of house, so I will focus on finishing up the artwork for that and then return to the land of the R800 and all it's lovely dips and peaks!

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 03:20 AM

I have reposted this thread several times so for those of you who have read it already please forgive me. For those who have not, I hope it helps you and I don't mind at all posting it as much as needed to help save you some paper and inks.

I have multiple Epson Printers. 6 to be exact I believe. Only one of said printers has came straight from the box, been plugged in to power, USB'd to the computer and printed right on colors without any calibration at all. All of the others have been real bears, especially my 2200 which I ended up using about 100 dollars worth of ink and the equivalent in paper. I use all sorts of paper including Epson, cold and hot press water color paper from the art store, rice paper and so on........... I happen to be lucky enough to have some of my projects and grants sponsored by a company by the name of Hahnemuehle, which makes just about every sort of paper you can think of. It's archival, comes in warm and cold tones and has the feel of a fine old black and white printing paper much like that of what was once called Oriental Seagull. Here is the link to there website. Get a sampler pack and try it.

http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/us/798/home.html

All of that to get to this. One day I was going stark raving mad trying to get rid of a red hue that had taken over one of my 13 x 19 inch prints without success. I tried every tutorial on the Epson site as well as working through the problem with the tech support people at Epson. Hahnemuehle also has profiles for every one of there papers. One day it hit me. If that damn $69.00 Epson 320 prints so perfectly right out of the box, then that has to be the answer. I then dropped the 320 profile (which you can download for free from Epson) and I dropped it into my profiles folders for all my other printers. Sure enough from that point on every time I printed I chose that profile in my configuration dialogue box and presto, nearly perfect prints each time. I hope this helps you and is as easy for you as it was for me. Let me know if I can offer any more help.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 04:21 AM

What even gets harder is trying to get good matches when you use 3rd party inks. I took me 5 hours to make new profiles for all my epson printers
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Color managing a printer is something that I would not pull my hair out over these days. A few years ago it was a different story. Today you just need to take a step up in your model printer(like a 3800 or better) and buy a rip(maybe imageprint for portrait printing and/or something like colorburst for cmyk contract proofs). The rip does all the work and once a year you read a linearization target and call it a day. Printing the way it should be, Easy!

-W
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Hi Guys! Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into the things that were suggested.

One thing to keep in mind, and this is just for me... I'm not actually printing photography in that pure sense. I'm printing CD jewel cases and printing onto CD. It's the only thing I'm gong to use this Epson for. There is only that one Americal paper that is of good quality that is pre-perforated at this time and fits into their Jewel cases. I haven't tried the on disk printing yet, but I got the R800 specifically becuase it does on disc printing. I can not justify upgrading to a $1200 printer cost at this time, so that is definitely not an option for me.

At the end of the day, I guess the artwork will look how it looks even if it isn't perfect.

I'll post back as I tweak. Getting that cheaper Epson profile might jsut do the trick.. I'll let you know.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2008, 10:31 AM

One thing you will want to check. Since you are using a color profile in photoshop, and you have photoshop performing the color management, make sure that you have color management in your printer turned off. You can veryify this by going in to your printer settings dialoge. For most printers this is by default set to on, and you have to go into the printer dialoge to turn it off.

Also, if you have a scanner, your software may be able to create a custom profile for your printer. This is preferable to any default profiles that you can download, since it will adjust for variations in your printer. Again, you will want to make sure that color management is turned off in your printer before you do the calibration.

I had a similar problem with my printer, where my colors would not print correctly, even when using the correct profiles. By using the calibration software to create my own profile, I found that I finally started to get good color printing from my local printer.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow