Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Getting Accurate Prints: PS CS3 and Epson R800

Old 06-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Re: Getting Accurate Prints: PS CS3 and Epson R800

After reading through this post, I was confused by your workflow... which could be causing problems for you. You mentioned...

Just to clarify for me, I have to go Edit > Convert to Profile > Select the Epson Glossy profile > Intent: Perceptual

Print w/ Preview >
Color Handling: Let Photoshop Determine Colors
Printer Profile: Choose Epson Glossy profile (there's 2 that I have to fiddle with one is Photo Paper and the other is PremiumGlossy BestPhoto paper)
Rendering Intent: perceptual

Do I do black point compensation (what is that)?

You should not convert your image as you mention here. The image should stay in a format that you standardize on. For example, if most of your work is for the web or for low end printing, you could standardize on sRGB for all your images. (Those heavy into retouch might use AdobeRGB or ProPhoto.)

Again, do not convert the image... especially not to a "printer" profile. This is the purpose of the print utility. It does all the conversion on the fly.

Black point compensation probably will not remove the color cast. It is mostly for the shadows and ensures black is black, not over or under saturated.

Almost all high end printers work best with internal color management turned off, utilizing an ICC profile for color management. However, it is often surprising that many lower end printers (sorry, but I consider the R800 as low end... but I do like it) work better with their internal color management turned on and turn off all management from Photoshop. It boils down to the manufacturer knows the kinks in the printer and often embeds fixes in the CM scheme.

So, my suggestion would be to:
(a) keep your images in a standard profile, like sRGB;
(b) turn off CM in Photoshop, and turn on CM in your Epson.
If it works great... it's much easier. If not, we'll go to plan B !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow