RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Getting Accurate Prints: PS CS3 and Epson R800

Old 06-07-2008, 07:06 PM

Question Getting Accurate Prints: PS CS3 and Epson R800

Hi All,

I realize there are threads on this topic, but each time I posted to one that was relevant I got a message saying the thread was old and it suggested posting a new thread, so here I am doing that.

I'm having troubles with my new Epson Stylus Photo R800 and Photoshop CS2. Everything prints dark. I've got Spyder color calibration and am NOT using Adobe gamma to color manage. When I send prints to Costco for regular photos everything is fine, so this is obviously me having to learn how to do things on my Epson.

Also of note, I just upgraded to Windows XP SP3, so I am not sure if this has anything to do with anything because I am entirely new to printing on this Epson, but I figure I'd mention it just in case.

I am actually trying to print my CD cover and tray back on an Epson Stylus Photo R800. I'm having a terrible time with the print being incredibly dark. I've tried sRGB and Adobe RGB 1998 and even CMYK mode and still they are all dark and muddy looking. The paper I am using is not an Epson paper. It is actually a paper from a company called Americal and it is High Gloss polished white paper to fit the CD jewel cases I purchased from them:
http://www.americal.com/pd/313773.html

I have downloaded the ICC profiles from Epson for the printer, but since this paper is not Epson, I'm just converting to the SPR800PrmGlossy BstPhoto.icc profile. I'm not sure if this is the right profile to use or if another would work better? The prints are all very dark and muddy. I've gone through about 20 sheets trying to get this right so far.

Things seemed to work better from the Click n'Design program I used, but unfortunately they do not have a proper template for me and the size wasn't working so I decided to print direct from Photoshop using Americal's template. Now the size is great and the prints are poopy!

I have seen some older threads with linked out stuff here and will read through it, but if anyone has any ideas that might help, I'm all ears (well eyes, really i suppose)!

Thanks so much!

Hmmm OK been fiddling more and read this thread which has helped some:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps9...s9_print_1.htm

UPDATE!
I have had a bit of a breakthrough by using Print With Preview and assigning the color profile there and making sure PS handles colors, but I'm fighting a Magenta color cast (a bad one!) in one resultant print test print. If I use a different setting I get a bit too yellow a print (my red hair shows up as brown and the skin is very desaturated) and on both there is some very weird greenish color showing up around my neck area. I'll keep tweaking, but I'm including screenshots of my settings windows in case they are helpful. I also think I need to re-calibrate, which I will do before doing any more prints.

I have also added a screenshot of my color values for the shadow area at the side of my face and under my chin. It doesn't look to me that Green is too high, but I could be wrong? Any reason why that area would print with a green cast instead of proper grey/black shadow?

Thanks!

PS i just realized i said CS3, but I'm actually using CS2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps-print-setting.jpg (92.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg epson-print-setting.jpg (75.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg green.jpg (91.0 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by rnbluvva; 06-08-2008 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Added new info
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 PM

Re: Getting Accurate Prints: PS CS3 and Epson R800

Did you visit this site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2008, 10:41 PM

Looking at your screenshots it seems you're on the right track. You may want to try using perceptual as your rendering intent. You could also experiment with the different Epson glossy profiles, but change one variable at a time so you don't drive yourself nuts.

After your update, are your test prints still too dark? Or just have unwanted color casts? If it's only color casts (I suspect you may have been double profiling before,) you may want to run a nozzle check. A slightly clogged nozzle can create all kinds of color weirdness. You never know.

I'm on a mac so I don't know if there's any XP issues, (though are you sure you have the proper drivers for the printer?) but my R1800 gives me great prints except every now and then when a nozzle clogs.

Hope this helps.

ron
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
Did you visit this site.
No I did not know about that site. Are they just other profiles? I downloaded the Epson paper ones, but my issue is that this is not Epson paper. It's from Americal. Does it matter? Would I just use any glossy paper profile from there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva View Post
No I did not know about that site. Are they just other profiles? I downloaded the Epson paper ones, but my issue is that this is not Epson paper. It's from Americal. Does it matter? Would I just use any glossy paper profile from there?

Thanks!
I wish I could answer your questions, but I have worked with my Canon with mixed results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
I wish I could answer your questions, but I have worked with my Canon with mixed results.

OK well I have the Epson Glossy ICC profile and from looking at those other ones, they do not look familiar to me as far as the paper I have.

I'll keep trying!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva View Post

Thanks!
yes it does matter, get some Epson glossy paper and print the same image again...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpics View Post
Looking at your screenshots it seems you're on the right track. You may want to try using perceptual as your rendering intent. You could also experiment with the different Epson glossy profiles, but change one variable at a time so you don't drive yourself nuts.

After your update, are your test prints still too dark? Or just have unwanted color casts? If it's only color casts (I suspect you may have been double profiling before,) you may want to run a nozzle check. A slightly clogged nozzle can create all kinds of color weirdness. You never know.

I'm on a mac so I don't know if there's any XP issues, (though are you sure you have the proper drivers for the printer?) but my R1800 gives me great prints except every now and then when a nozzle clogs.

Hope this helps.

ron
Hi Ron!

Well I can't blame this on XPSP3 because I have never printed a photo on this printer before today so I have nothing to compare it to. I just read some places about XP updates and driver issues, but I went to Epson today and downloaded the latest driver, which is the same as the one I have installed already.

I am thinking this is a color profile thing. I am going to have to go through the settings and make more notes. I will try perceptual. Is there anywhere that explains the difference in those settings? I'm going a bit blind here and I'd like to do more reading if possible.

You could very well be right about double profiling though.

Just to clarify for me, I have to go Edit > Convert to Profile > Select the Epson Glossy profile > Intent: Perceptual

THEN

Print w/ Preview >
Color Handling: Let Photoshop Determine Colors
Printer Profile: Choose Epson Glossy profile (there's 2 that I have to fiddle with one is Photo Paper and the other is PremiumGlossy BestPhoto paper)
Rendering Intent: perceptual

Do I do black point compensation (what is that)?

I am going to re-calibrate my monitor as it's been about a month since I did it and then I will refresh my eyes and come back to this to try again.

Thanks!

Last edited by rnbluvva; 06-08-2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
yes it does matter, get some Epson glossy paper and print the same image again...
Well the thing is it won't matter for my purposes if it works on Epson paper. I am printing this on this Americal paper as I've spent about $100 on it and it's for a Custom CD project I'm doing using Jewel cases purchased from them also.

There has to be a way to get it to work?

I've emailed Americal to see if they have any suggestions. Hopefully they will.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 12:53 AM

if they don't have profiles for their paper you could pay to have one made but it'll be about $100 for such a service...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow