RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

color calibration monitor

Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Re: color calibration monitor

Tareq,
It does not mean your calibration or colors are fine and accurate. But, it sounds like you are referring to prints from your own printer. In that case, it sounds like the profile you are using for your printer (if any) is certainly close enough for your use and your liking. In many instances, that is good enough.

If you are referring to a third party's printer, then you should at least be using a printer profile for their printer. That is part of a normal color management workflow. Most third parties have profiles available from their website. Others, like basic department stores that use Noritsu or Fujitsu printers, don't post them. However, adequate profiles are obtainable from other websites.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2009, 04:22 AM

So if i am just printing my photos myself with my printer then it is fine? In fact i just created my own profile for my printer for different papers, but i can't be sure if i try to print that on another printer, in any case, if printing at home and with some kind of calibration and adjustments is it enough to say that everything is fine? or let's say, is it must to do printer calibration for accurate work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
is it must to do printer calibration for accurate work?
For accurate output, a printer should be calibrated. You calibrate yours, everyone else calibrates theirs. That is the only way you can be assured that a print will look similar anywhere in the world.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
For accurate output, a printer should be calibrated. You calibrate yours, everyone else calibrates theirs. That is the only way you can be assured that a print will look similar anywhere in the world.
Ah ok, so now i understand it, otherwise it may be good enough on my printer but not good on another printers.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 10:02 PM

I know it's late, but I just purchased the Colormunki from X-rite and have really loved it so far. It does both monitor and printer calibration...as well as projector calibration. I had previously used the eyeOne 2 from xrite for my monitor, and although the Colormunki is very entry level for color mangement, I like using it better than the eyeOne

It's very cheap, it retails for $400 and you can find it for around 300-350. One day I will upgrade to a "real" printer calibration setup, but it's worked surpisingly very well for me so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 04:04 AM

Try this site, check out the downloads section and 'monitor'. You can download a test strip for your desktop which will help gauge the correct luminance for your monitor. Just keep it on all the time as your desktop.
http://www.eci.org/doku.php?id=en:downloads

hope that helps?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 06:48 AM

We have come a long way since the days of film and darkroom developing but the digital photography age has brought upon us some important issues that need to be addressed and understood by everyone that desires accurate color rendering and accurate print outs.

Most photographers are familiar with the light table used to view negatives and slides in old days of film. Today we have monitors and computers that have replaced the darkroom. However one of the most common and least understood problems related to the digital work flow is that you must have your system profiled in order to be able to achieve predictable color output on your monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Lots of good advice here. Just a couple of points I think need to be reinforced.

1. You don't want to calibrate your monitor to your printer, or your printer to your monitor. Each get calibrated to their own independent standards, that when done right, will have them match up fairly well. The problem with matching one to the other is, which is the standard? Which one is right? If the "standard" you are matching to is poor our efforts will lock you into working solely with that equipment (a closed loop) as your results will only match it, but not other printers or other viewers on the internet.

IOW, don't automatically assume your local lab's prints are accurate. Matching your monitor to a bad print is a disaster waiting to happen, as is matching a print to a badly calibrated monitor.

That said, most monitors are usually set too bright and prints are often viewed in uncontrolled and unpredictable lighting environments. Prints will look different if viewed under tungsten, daylight or florescent lighting. And of course, the bruightness of the lightsource matters too. Ideally, your print viewing conditions will also be controlled and (somewhat) calibrated (ie, daylight balanced, high color rendering index (CRI) lighing).

2. Even if the monitor, printer and viewing environment are well calibrated, it's important that the file being sent to the printer be in the right colorspace with the proper profile attached. Most prosumer print shops expect an sRGB file. If you are editing in AdobeRGB or ProPhoto and don't convert your file to sRGB (or their supplied custom printer profile) you wont get good results.

So, short answer is, lower the brightness of your monitor, calibrate it (start with D65 gamma 2.2), and convert your images to sRGB before sending them to the printer. Also consider getting something like an OTT light or Solux for print viewing.

If all that fails, you can try sending to a different lab, or making additional monitor calibration adjustments (like lower luminance or white point).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 01:06 PM

This is a good site to see how your monitor is performing:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow