RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Why calibrate for web work?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:40 AM

Question Why calibrate for web work?

Most of the images I work on are ultimately posted on the Internet. Since the great unwashed masses have uncalibrated monitors, with color shifts in all colors of the rainbow, why should I calibrate my own monitor?

Will
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2008, 10:04 AM

Re: Why calibrate for web work?

It's a valid point and certainly very logical. If that were your only endeavor, I would agree it simply would not be worth all the trouble, especially with most LCD's being relativey close right out of the box these days.

However, you did say most of your work... so, if any of your work is good enough for better endeavors, it may be worth calibrating. Especially as affordable and easy as it is today. A simple Syder calibration tool and software package runs about $60 US and takes about 1 minute to install and 4 minutes to calibrate (I did it for a family member recently). That's pretty cheap. And, the tool should be usable for at least 5 years or more, or until graphic card or monitors go through a major change. So, that's about $10 a year... less than you'll spend on movies or popcorn !
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2008, 12:57 PM

for one thing, it's easier on your eyes and a calibrated monitor has a longer life versus an uncalibrated monitor and i would think you'd want to always send out quality work...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2008, 02:08 PM

How does calibrating a monitor make it last longer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2008, 04:32 PM

That would likely be in reference to a CRT, not an LCD (feel free to correct me pixelzombie if you'd like). A CRT basically works harder to display more saturated pixels; an LCD does not. Calibration affects only the graphic card for most low to medium end CRT's & LCD's (a few higher end models have chip sets inside that can be adjusted). So, it's not the actual calibration that could save some life, it is the effect the calibration has on the electronics of a CRT.

CRT's also tend to go out of calibration faster than LCD's due to the nature of their electronics, tube, heat, etc. So, if you don't do regular calibrations, you could eventually adversely affect the electronics. However, in the real world, it's not likely it would ever get that bad and you still not notice it with your eyes... you would notice and you would then pursue calibration.

However, keep in mind the electronics of either will weaken. Calibration will not stop that process, it may not even slow it down.... it may only compensate for it and make you think the electronics are doing Ok. The fluorescent tubes in an LCD are typically only good (or strong) for about 4-5 years, or so. Hence, always budget to upgrade at an interval you like, i.e. every 4 years.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 PM

If it's calibrated, you'll see more accurate color when you are designing and choosing colors.
It's also important to have the brightness level accurate.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow