RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

126 format slide scanning

Old 10-17-2008, 07:33 PM

126 format slide scanning

I have been given the unenviable task of scanning in some 1500 Kodachrome 126 format slides from the 60's and 70's.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced scanner that will let me do this, however, from some of the comments throughout the internet, the biggest problem doing this is finding software that does NOT automatically crop to 35mm negative slide size (35mmx 24mm) but will let me set the crop area to the 126 negative format size of 28mm x 28mm

There are a huge selection of flatbeds out there with transparency adapters, but it's how functional the scanning software is that matters.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 AM

Re: 126 format slide scanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy View Post
I have been given the unenviable task of scanning in some 1500 Kodachrome 126 format slides from the 60's and 70's.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced scanner that will let me do this, however, from some of the comments throughout the internet, the biggest problem doing this is finding software that does NOT automatically crop to 35mm negative slide size (35mmx 24mm) but will let me set the crop area to the 126 negative format size of 28mm x 28mm

There are a huge selection of flatbeds out there with transparency adapters, but it's how functional the scanning software is that matters.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tony
My sympathies Tony. I went through over 1400 slides, mostly 126. I first tried a Canon scanner but it cropped to the 35mm framelines. I next bought a Epson 4990 Photo. Using the Advanced setting with the slide tray but telling the scanner I'm using the full flatbed enabled me to manually set the crop areas and gang-scan 12 slides at a time. I believe this model has been replaced with a V500 or V700 but the software should still enable you to get the job done but the number of slides at once is reduced I believe.

Still a less expensive option than a Nikon CoolScan & a Slide feeder even buying used on-line. The included negative trays for 35mm & Medium format were also very useful for some negatives I found.

Regards,

Bruce
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 AM

Tony,
I have an Epson V750Pro. It came with both Epson Scan and SilverFast. Epson Scan does allow you to readjust the scan area as well as target area. I can't recall about SilverFast, as I just don't do many slide scans. Being that the v750 is fairly new, I'm not sure if other software manufacturers have built it into their programs yet. It does offer twain compatibility, but I can't recall if that supports slides.

If I had that many to do, I may outsource them. With some vendors as low as .30 for 1500, or .40 for 3000 dpi, it could be worth it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 AM

SilverFast for 126 format slide scanning

Hi Tony,
as you are asking for a software to scan Kodachrome slides, you may want to have a closer look at scanning software Silverfast, which Tommy mentioned.

Beside the Nikon Coolscan 9000 (with ICE Professional) Silverfast is the only solution to use a dust and scratch removal tool on Kodachromes.
The new Archive Suite may be of interest too.

Here's the oct. 08 newsletter:
http://www.silverfast.com/show/newsl...tml#kodachrome

kind regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM

Hi Tony, I use an HP flatbed with full backlight. It Doesn't crop to a specific size, but attempts to crop to the edges of the image that it finds. You can also overide this to scan where ever you want, and it will scan any transparancy up to 8.5X11
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 PM

Now I am going to show my age!

Back in film days, Nikon used to make an attachment for their cameras that would hold a 35mm slide so one could shoot a duplicate of it. I think that a 126 slide mount would fit into it.

I would set up the camera with the attachment on a tripod, aim it at the light source I wanted to use (even daylight in a pinch), get a table and just sit there and insert the slide, shoot, take the slide out and repeat.

If you can find one, it might be faster than a scanner. If you had your camera tethered to a computer, you could check them as you shoot. Then you could go back and touch up whatever is wrong like exposure or color balance etc.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Tony,
I have an Epson V750Pro. It came with both Epson Scan and SilverFast. Epson Scan does allow you to readjust the scan area as well as target area. I can't recall about SilverFast, as I just don't do many slide scans. Being that the v750 is fairly new, I'm not sure if other software manufacturers have built it into their programs yet. It does offer twain compatibility, but I can't recall if that supports slides.

If I had that many to do, I may outsource them. With some vendors as low as .30 for 1500, or .40 for 3000 dpi, it could be worth it.
Tommy- can you let me know what vendors charge this price - I only found a couple and many charge .99 to make Prints and don't even offer scans.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow