Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Costco paper

Old 12-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Costco paper

I use what ever paper is on sale, Epson, HP, etc. and during a recent trip to Costco, I purchased the Costco brand of glossy paper. I am considering purchasing a CISS from Ink Republic, and they will provide the printer profiles for my R200 printer if I choose the pigment ink. This seems like a no brainer since I am having so many problems with my prints looking totally alien to my monitor. I have calibrated my monitor, ViewSonic VP930b but the Epson is still putting out strange muddy prints. I can't seem to find the profiles for my Epson printer anywhere. I am not a pro, I scrapbook and print my photo's and scrapbook pages at once, so being critical is not that important, but I would like a reasonable print. Does anyone know who manufactures the Costco paper so I can let the CISS people know what profiles I need? Am I on the right track with this? This is all so confusing and I am not sure I know what I am even talking about LOL LOL. I read on this forum about a calibration tool Profile Prism that is in my budget, what you do think? Thanks, in advance so much for reading this post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Re: Costco paper

does CISS make the profiles based on your choice of paper? can get custom profiles made for as little as $25 but in general the prices tends to be about $100 which is what you would need as you use custom inks and paper..sometimes the paper manu. will have profiles on their site but they assume you use the same brand as your also need to make sure you are printing properly, go to Russel Browns site and watch his tutorials about printing in the correct manner...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Re: Costco paper

I'm not sure what tool you used to calibrate your monitor. I use an old version of Monaco EZcolor Optix and it came with a scan target that allows me to create my own printer/paper profiles. The process is actually simple. You print out a target color chart using the printer and paper of your choice. The target has a place holder on it for you to attach the IT8 target that comes with Monaco, and once attached you scan the page, enter the IT8 target ID, which lets the software know what the actual color values read should have been, and viola you have your paper specific profile. (Yes, you are also able to calibrate the scanner in order to have a closed loop calibration.)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by RAG; 12-05-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Had to take care of something in the middle of original posting.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow