RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Please help with calibration problem

Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 PM

Please help with calibration problem

I've spent (wasted) many hours now and can't get my new MBP (early 2008) with the LG display calibrated.
I'm using an i1Display2, used iMatch, basiccolor Display2, LUT, Matrix, you name it - I've done it. The problem I have is with the nasty blue/purple shifts I get using photoshop, lightroom or safari.
The weird thing is, if I have e.g. PS open and click through the profiles in ColorSync the colors change in PS and blue is blue, but when I click on to PS or the image the hue shift appears again. Sounds confusing? To me too...
So now I've tried to download some of the profiles available on the internet and some work fine without blue shift and other won't (i1display, spyder2). So it can't be my calibration tools/software I'm using, right?

For example:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=517616 - purple shift
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=148 - purple shift
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...98&postcount=6 - ok blue

So why's that?
Someone knows why this is happening?

Please check this image, the lady has a blue jacket.
With the first two profiles the jacket is purple.

http://www.imagespin.com/images/colour_calibration.jpg

The jacket might have a weird color but to my eyes it's blue like the blue RGB ball on the left.

Anybody knows what's going on here?

There is no color profile mess up in PS as I have the same problem using LR or Firefox or any color managed program.

I hope someone can help me in this forum as I didn't have much luck in others...

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Patron

Re: Please help with calibration problem

Zapote, welcome to Retouch Pro.
Your 1st example link goes to a long forum thread. The last 2 example links are bad - they just bring up a error page.
It is difficult to understand your problem without seeing the missing images.
Also, what color space is PS set to work in? What are your Color Management Policies set to?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 AM

Agreed...more explination and better links needed...

But about the jacket. On my calibrated monitor the jacket is two toned. The smooth lether part is purple and the textured part is blue (matching the blue ball).

Hope this helps,
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 AM

Sorry about the bad links, I thought they would go straight to the profiles I was trying. Anyway, the first forum link has to 3 links to profiles people seem to like and use. Only the last one (AbsenceOfTruth) is working for me, the others give me a purple shift. I know it doesn't make sense to use someone elses profiles, but I just wanted to see if there is something wrong with my calibration (device).

I don't have a color managment issue in PS. It also happens in LS or NikonNX.

Here is a screenshot I made using my calibrated (i1Display, basiccolorDisplay4) profile.
The left picture in PS (working space Srgb, like the image) and the right one is the image in Firefox (color management turned on).
You see the difference now?

Why Firefox accepts the profile and PS, LS, CaptureNX don't?
Why some profiles are working in all the programmes, other's don't?

I don't know which other information you need to help me.

thanks for you help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeftPS-RightFX.jpg (84.8 KB, 23 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Farb-LCD_lap-001 .icc.zip (57.5 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 AM

I'm getting crazy

Looking at the screenshot now, after uploading the pictures they look different than on my screen or in PS using Firefox.
Using Safari they look like the screenshot and the jacket has the purple hue like in PS.
Now this gets more and more confusing for me. Both, Safari and Firefox should handle color management, but don't show the same image.
What's going on here?
I'm new to Mac, never had this problem with PCs. What I'm doing wrong here or is it an OS X bug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TopSafari-BottomFirefox.jpg (86.3 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Patron

Zapote, I took your image pair form your 2nd post above and separated the images. I took the magenta one and did a File>Save As and unchecked the boxes that embeds the profile - so the image has no embedded profile. I opened that image in PS and when I got the Profile Mismatch message I told PS not to manage color. Then I did Edit>Assign Profile and cycled through the various profile. I found at least two profile (a printer and a display) which caused the magenta image to change color to match the blue image. I check the eye dropper targets I placed to confirm this (I find it easier to compare by changing the eyedropper (readout only) to LAB color.
Something in your workflow is not respecting embedded color profiles. Which gets back to my 1st question: What are the settings in Edit>Preferences>Color for handling Missmatched Embedded Profile? Are all 3 boxes checked?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 03:37 PM

I have my PS setting depending on the work I do.
If I do some photo editing I have set the working space in AdobeRGB.
If I do some work on photos for the web I work in sRGB.
If I open a picture and there is a profile missmatch I either use the embedded profile and change the working space according to it. Or I convert the profile to the working space. Again, depending what I gonna do with the picture.
I'm aware that a color missmatch can do some weird things, but I don't have this problem only in photoshop. Also in CaptureNX, Adobe LS and Safari.

If look at a sRGB image in PS with sRGB as the working space and I change the profiles in ColorSync the colors are changing and blue stays blue. But if I click on PS or the image the image changes imediately and gets a purple hue shift. So the profile is recognized until a certain stage and than gets lost or whatever happens to it.

Anyone any idea?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Patron

I have not been a MAC user for a long time, BUT my understanding is that the Colorsync utility only allows you to display / view the image as it would look if it were in another color profile. However, the actual image data is never modified. So when you save the file you may think you converted the color values of the pixels but you have not. So when you go to open it in PS, you may be telling PS that it is about to open an AdobeRGB image but if the image is really sRGB it will look very different.
If you are looking for experts in this area, you might want to visit the Adobe Photoshop User Forum on Adobe's web site.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow