RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

CS4 blows

Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 PM

CS4 blows

ok, this is more of a rant, but I think photoshop cs4 sucks. sure its great when it works, but it is one of the buggyest peices of shit ive ever worked with on my mac. it crashes alot, and the gui is finiky, jeez whats with adobe dropping the ball
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Re: CS4 blows

mine seems to work just fine, everyday, all day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 11:57 PM

Of course it does! Fuck me :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
ok, this is more of a rant, but I think photoshop cs4 sucks. sure its great when it works

If your disk is full, or close to it, it will run slow or not at all..

Works good here...

Lloyd -
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 AM

i tried using it for a week but i have since gone back to cs3
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 AM

Nope, all good here, my scratch disk is 75% open 500 GB, and I run 20 gigs of RAM on a mac pro intel desktop. I just notice that when pulling in files, I have to cycle the screen mode otherwise the cursor will not match up with the pen position, its about an inch lower, and seems that is a common issue with the program. also, large 16 bit editing seems to often freeze it and have it crash. so I always have to be ontop of saving as i work. alot of people are having these issues it seems with it. its just a nuisance
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 12:18 AM

...and my graphics card is a512 mb ATI radeon x1900 with current drivers running dual 23 inch ACDs so its not like im run ning old hardware. like I said, more just a rant than anything. thanks for putting up with me
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 AM

Garibaldi,

Have you downloaded the upgrage, 11.0.1? I believe it is suppose to deal with pen issues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 AM

"I have to cycle the screen mode otherwise the cursor will not match up with the pen position, its about an inch lower" - just press your F key tree times. You might find it also helps to get rid of all that 'Application Frame' nonsense, and 'Open documents as Tabs' in preferences. Its possible to turn all this off and have your documents behaving in the good old, logically sound, non-windows way. This seems to help with the misalignent issue, its not just the pen, its all the cursors.

Your other issues are not to do with Photoshop. Make sure under Performance that you have allocated LESS than 100% to Photoshop. I know you have a lot of RAM, but for some reason although technically with 20 gigs you should be able to allocate 100% to photoshop, it just doesn't like it - go for 90%. Also run disk permissions and Onyx Cache cleans etc, to clean up your system.

I edit 16 bit files all the time using CS4 on Leopard and it rarely crashes, there are a few glitches here and there, but its generally Ok - do what I suggest above.

Last edited by Markzebra; 03-26-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 AM

Hi Mrk, thanks I will try that, I have phototshop set to 70% RAM, I never ran it at 100% I hear that no matter what your ram capacity it will never use more than 3 gig or something like that anyway? Ill try the preference settings. It just seems anytime I ioen a image from DPP or lr, I max the screen mode and go to start using a brush or tool, and its showing up right uner where Im touching with the cursor on screen, like I said cycleing the screen mode clears it up. Also every once and a while I will launch ps and i will have no cursor at all, I use a wacom tablet , and if I take the wacom mouse and run it on the pad, the cursor wakes up and the pen works fine after. So I think ps may also have some issue with the graphics? who knows but i will try what you suggested and thank you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow