RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Calibrating my LG W1952Q flat monitor

Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Calibrating my LG W1952Q flat monitor

Hello Old Friends,
I turn to you in desperation.
I'm having a lot of difficulty calibrating my LG W1952Q flat monitor. I've tried several free techniques including Adobe Gamma. Others were from scarse.org and quick gamma.
After reading your tut on AG I wonder if running Adobe Gamma only changes things for Adobe Photoshop apps? I really need to redo my monitor for everyday use.
I'm about to go back to my monitor I was using before. It is old and tired but I could calibrate it !!!!!
Cinderella
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 03:14 PM

Re: Basic Monitor Calibration for Photoshop

Cinderella,
You may have to be more specific.
(a) What is happening to make you think the process is failing?
(b) What process are you following to do the calibration?

Also, the model you mention is not listed on the LG site, either new or discontinued. I looked to see if it contained any automatic color adjustments. So, I could not tell. But, the other models in the Q series do contain their ACE (Adaptive Color & Contrast Enhancement) chip. This must be turned OFF if you plan to calibrate the monitor for a color managed environment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 03:23 PM

A second model # on the manual title page is W2252TQ and this is on my Flatron W2252TQ monitor as well (should have looked on the monitor)
Whites are disappearing .There is no deliniation in the whites at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 05:13 PM

Angry Re: Basic Monitor Calibration for Photoshop

I forgot to mention that photos I print - either on my home printer or at mpix, shutterfly, etc. - do not look like the photo I see on my monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 PM

You might want to try an inexpensive calibration device - Adobe Gamma is way too subjective - lighting conditions, color of your desktop image, and even wall color in the room can throw off your perception. If you can't afford one of these (and they're not perfect, they're just better than humans can usually do), then get one of your photos printed at MPix without color correction and then using the photo in print and on screen as a guide, use Adobe Gamma (or your graphic card) to re-calibrate your monitor so the image onscreen matches the image in print. Oh, and make sure your desktop image is a neutral grey when you do this!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 AM

Re: Calibrating my LG W1952Q flat monitor

Thanks for these suggestions.
I don't know where my graphic card is. Where/what is it ????
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 PM

Re: Calibrating my LG W1952Q flat monitor

Ciderella,
Sorry, did not mean to ignore the thread, I just have not been logging in much lately.

Anyway, you LCD is one of those with a lot of adjustments. These are great for anything other than retouching. Since retouching should be done in a calibrated environment, you just don't want to touch the menu system on the LCD after calibration of the LCD. Also, what you describe about pictures not matching the display is typical of an LCD/graphics card that is not calibrated. You would be surprised at how close they will match after calibration.

With this LCD I would recommend you buy a calibration device, such as the SpyderExpress. This device installs easily and generates a profile easily. It walks you through every step, saves the profile, swaps the settings within Windows for you and you're done. It averages about $60 US. You should use it monthly, and at least every 6 months if you are a procrastinator. It should last you 5 years or more, or until Windows changes their operating system again.

You don't really need to know where your graphics card is. The profile generated above is loaded into the graphics card to recalibrate it to the LCD; the LCD is not actually calibrated at all. The LCD just needs to do nothing to the signals sent to it from a calibrated graphics card, which is why you don't want to fiddle with the menus.

The only prerequisite to calibration is that you disable any LCD functions that may automatically fiddle with color signals/values. For example, on your LCD this would include the ACE and RCM settings under the f-Engine menu. You would set both ACE & RCM to 0 (zero).

Once you have done this, you may also want to exit the menu and then hold the Menu button for several seconds to lock out the menu buttons, or OCD (OCD=on screen display). This way you won't accidentally fiddle with them later.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow