Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Link to High Resolution File for Output (OPI & FPO

Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Link to High Resolution File for Output (OPI & FPO

I would like to prepare special TIF files using OPI (open press interface) technology. I know that this technology involves creating placeholder low-resolution images that contain internal links to high-resolution digital separation files. When printed, these external separations may be set to replace the imported placeholder. This enables a person to incorporate high-resolution images into their documesnts while maintaining reasonable document file sizes.

How exactly do I do this in Photoshop
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Re: Link to High Resolution File for Output (OPI &

OPI is comments in the postsciprt code telling it to replace the images. In your document you link the high-resolution images, and when exporting to postscript you tell it to not include them (so your printer guy can put them in later).
In InDesign this is under "Advanced" when exporting (choose "omit for OPI").

But why would you want to do this? Honestly I don't see the advantage of OPI other than to complicate things...

If you use any modern page layout program (like InDesign) it will atomatically create a low-resolution thumbnail embedded in the document and a link to the high-resolution file. This makes the indesign-document itself small, and editing quick. When exporting (directly to PDF and not .ps/.eps thank you) it downloads the high-resolution image (e.g. from your disk or network drive) and creates the final file.

This is how I understand it:
With OPI you would export your postscript document without the images in it (but it needs access to them to figure out how large they are etc.). Small file. Then you send the document and all the large images separately to the printer and have them put the images back in. OPI sounds like outdated technology that somehow emerged in the more analoge era...

Never used OPI so correct me if I'm wrong here...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow