RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Online Image Color Saturation

Old 07-21-2009, 02:30 AM

Question Online Image Color Saturation

Hi People,

Anyone here have experience working on personal online portfolios?

How do you keep your image's saturation posted on your site? I have difficulty keeping saturation on my pictures even if I convert to sRGB mode (also increase saturation). I would like for my images to be as close as possible to my calibrated monitor to uncalibrated monitors. I've noticed that other photographers' images on my cousin's uncalibrated monitor are superb.

Most of our clients are not knowledgeable regarding online images
losing saturation.

Sure will appreciate some input. THanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Patron

Re: Online Image Color Saturation

Have you verified that your monitor is actually calibrated correctly by running test prints on a color managed printer? If you use Photoshop, try the File>Save For Web and see if that helps.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM

Yes I've done test prints and always use Spyder Calibrator and it works really nice.

I have used the feature Save for Web and I've heard recently that Photoshop CS3 is a lot better than other versions (Save for Web).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM

BUt my question is how make sure that my pictures look great on un-calibrated monitors for online portfolios.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Sky View Post
BUt my question is how make sure that my pictures look great on un-calibrated monitors for online portfolios.
The answer is, you cannot ensure they will. Uncalibrated monitors will vary in how they will display the images. Some people turn up the contrast and color saturation on purpose; others never change a thing as their backlight tubes fade. Don't forget that some users are now working with color management enabled web browsers, which helps a lot also.

I think what you are referring to having seen on other sites are just images that were both photographed well, tweaked well in post and then converted properly.

The main thing you can do is ensure you soft proof in the correct space, then convert properly (which it sounds like you are doing both). You may find that each image varies, depending upon the colors it contains. You may need to over saturate some, and lessen some, again depending on the conversion. In a few more years maybe you won't have to go through the conversion and deal with those issues, as more and more people work with color managed browsers (although their monitors may still not be calibrated).

Another is to ensure you are also saving to the web in both the proper size and resolution. Newer and larger displays running at higher resolutions can often benefit from saving images in larger sizes and at higher ppi. I would recommend 1200 pixels wide rather than the older default of 800; and 110 ppi rather than the old 72. Basically, image size and resolution play a big role in how our eyes perceive color and sharpness.

Also, if intended only for the web, do a bit more with your final sharpening. Over sharpen just a tad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 07:14 PM

Smile Re: Online Image Color Saturation

Sharpening...I didn't think of that. Yes...I recently saw Safari and Firefox are working with color management...hooray!

Thanks TommyO
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 07:51 PM

And I should have mentioned...

If accurate color representation is critical, you may not wish to play with saturation at all. Rather, load only high quality images that are converted as accurately as possible.

But, if you want simply striking images, than feel free.

Another idea for more striking images, play with only those colors less saturated. To do so, use Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) if you have CS3 or earlier. Play with the vibrance slider. If you are up to CS4, you can do it within PS. This way, colors already saturated properly will stay vibrant, those less so will have a little pop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 01:41 AM

Thumbs up Re: Online Image Color Saturation

So...I played around sharpening and it did the trick. I compared with 2 different monitors and it was almost identical. Will keep testing with the vibrance to recognize the right setting for my images.

Gracias!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow