RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Lightroom - Photoshop saturation difference

Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 PM

Re: Lightroom - Photoshop saturation difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by blom View Post
Hi Andrew

Im just right clicking and Edit in/Edit in Photoshop. Unless Ive done that to the file before it wont let me choose if I should go with the changes that where made to the file. Ive been checking around and figured out that it has something to do with photoshop/lightroom not color managing when used on a 2nd display (I have my Mackbook pro hooked up to a Eizo). Because it works fine when Im not using that screen and just keep LR/PS on my laptop. Have not found any solution to this though..
I'd like to see a link to your research if you have it on hand so I could take a look at myself. I've not used lightroom with two monitors yet. So let me get this right though: Do you see the image in lightroom (on your Eizo) and then you export it to PS and it looks different (on your Eizo.) Or do you see the Lightroom adjustments in lightroom (on your macbook) and then export it to PS (viewed on your Eizo)? Cause if your viewing on one monitor and moving do another, then you need to make sure both of them are color calibrated and even then they will probably look different. But if both of the imaged you see are on your Eizo, then you do have an issue. Make sure your lightroom and PS color settings are matching.

If you could, do you have screen shots? Could you describe the issue in extreme detail?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2009, 01:57 AM

Sure, Ive got my lightroom window up on the Eizo (witch is set as the main monitor), I press edit/edit with PS and open up the photo in PS, still on the Eizo. I noticed however that if I keep lightroom on my MBP, and open up the image in PS on the Eizo, they look way more similar. So Im thinking that its something with Lightroom not really getting the color profile of the Eizo. I also noticed that the colors in Lightroom on the Eizo seems a bit blown out in the reds.
Here is a screen shot of a part of an image (shitty one, but still), Lightroom shot on the left, PS on the right. (Both on the Eizo). http://www.danielblom.com/client/test.jpg
I did come across a recommendation on the Eizo page to turn of OpenGL in PS, but that would not help.
I might just have to get a Mac Pro

My settings are matching in both LR and PS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 AM

Another post on similar issues: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ageID=10230269
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Sure, Ive got my lightroom window up on the Eizo (witch is set as the main monitor), I press edit/edit with PS and open up the photo in PS, still on the Eizo. I noticed however that if I keep lightroom on my MBP, and open up the image in PS on the Eizo, they look way more similar. So Im thinking that its something with Lightroom not really getting the color profile of the Eizo. I also noticed that the colors in Lightroom on the Eizo seems a bit blown out in the reds.
Here is a screen shot of a part of an image (shitty one, but still), Lightroom shot on the left, PS on the right. (Both on the Eizo). http://www.danielblom.com/client/test.jpg
I did come across a recommendation on the Eizo page to turn of OpenGL in PS, but that would not help.
I might just have to get a Mac Pro

My settings are matching in both LR and PS.
Ok from what I can tell, Lightroom might be having issues with getting confused with dual monitors that have different profiles.

Try this: create a custom profile so your Eizo is color calibrated properly, then copy and use that same eizo.icc profile for your macbook's monitor profile as well. Now your color on your mac will be off because you're using the eizo profile for both monitors so you'll have to do all of your color stuff on the eizo when you're using dual monitors. After both monitors have the same eizo.icc profile, try again and see if the color switches or if it stays the same....... let me know if this works for you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2009, 02:41 AM

Hi Andrew.

I tried this before but did not restart the computer that time, this time I did and now it works. The MBP looks like crap though, but I guess you cant have it all.. Hope Apple / Adobe is aware of this issue. Thanks for your help Andrew.

Have a good one /D
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Hi Andrew.

I tried this before but did not restart the computer that time, this time I did and now it works. The MBP looks like crap though, but I guess you cant have it all.. Hope Apple / Adobe is aware of this issue. Thanks for your help Andrew.

Have a good one /D
Glad to hear it's working..... better. Yeah I'd try to see if you can contact Adobe and let them know about this issue (or see if they are already aware of it and working out a solution for the next update)

You might want to try updating to lightroom 2.5 if you haven't, it might have a fix in it for this problem (although I don't see it under the list of problems solved from earlier versions.) Good luck.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow