RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Setting on color adjustment menu

Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 PM

Red face Setting on color adjustment menu

Hi, I use the latest version of Iimac and CS3.
My problem is that when I start on bridge I see the image one way, then I open the RAW file and normaly I see it darker, so I correct the light and color from there. But when I open the image in photoshop it looks way more light and pale. And then when I send them to the LAB, they tend to look grayish!!! So what should I trust!!!! ?? What are the settings that I should have modified on the color adjustments menu? Is it APPLE RGB or SRGB?
I hope some one can help me with this!!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 AM

Re: Setting on color adjustment menu

Lilo99,
There is likely a difference between the color management settings of Bridge and Photoshop - this may be why you see the images differently on screen. You can manually set each, or you can synchronize the two automatically (if you purchased a suite).

There are several reasons why you are getting different output from the printer (lab).
- You could be working in a color space that is not the best choice;
- You could be skipping the soft proofing step;
- You may not be utilizing a printer profile that best represents you labs printer;
- Your monitor may be in need of calibration.

I would suggest you either read on-line about color management, or purchase a book on the subject. It's all time/money well spent. It just takes too long to type it here. You could also search RP for previously written threads on the subject. One suggested book is Real World Color Management (Second Edition), via PeachPit Press, written by Bruce Fracier, Chris Murphy and Fred Bunting. It covers much more than the average person can ever remember... so read it twice. Here's a glimpse: Real World Color Management - table of contents

Regarding the profiles you mentioned (a) Apple RGB is outdated and not used anymore; (b) sRGB is very popular, as it matches many camera profiles and most web output; (c) a few photographers prefer to work in ProPhoto RGB, as it has a wider color gamut (but few LCD's can display its gamut, so not always worth working in it). I might suggest you work in sRGB and see what you think. Set it as your working color space in all of your applications and see if the on-screen views improve.

For printing, the same color space (sRGB) is also more than adequate for working with your images prior to sending to most commercial printers. However, most people prefer to "soft proof" their images prior to printing. Photoshop allows you to "view" what the actual print "may" look like (soft=on screen, proof=view a print). But, you must obtain a profile for the printer at the print shop, i.e. some use Noritsu printers, some use Fuji, etc. They are easy to obtain and load. They also work quite well for soft proofing. Most images you edit look nearly identical in sRGB vs soft proofing with the correct profile. However, once in a while, they are dramatically different. At that point, it may be better to go ahead and convert the image early on to the printer profile and edit it in that color space; it's just easier. If not, you still nead to convert the image to the printers' profile before you send it off. This will ensure it prints as you see it, rather than leaving the conversion up to the print shop.

There are tons of threads here on monitor calibration. Suggest you check those out as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 10:14 AM

TommyO thank you for your response and time
I will definately get a book.. it seems no to be as simple as i thought!!!
And my confusion comes a lot from a class that I took at SVA in NY and the teacher told
us to use Apple RGB.. saying thay SRGB was for the web... and the color were very limited... !
so Im assuming my camera should also be in SRGB.. right? instead of adobe RGB
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 01:52 PM

lilo99
If you're willing to purchase a book covering the subject, I recommend Ben Willmore's book Adobe Photoshop CS3 Studio Techniques. Among the many, many Photoshop topics he covers, he devotes a chapter (Chapter 6) to Color Management.
Just to be clear, I do not have this book -- I have the book he wrote for CS2 (same title, just substitute CS2 for CS3). I'm guessing that he covers the subject of Color Management just as well for CS3 as he did for CS2, and, by the way, he also has the same book out now for CS4. Through Amazon.com you can currently get his CS3 book for as little as $9.44 + $3.99 S&H (used) or $15.95 + $3.99 S&H (new).
I have no particular background involving the science of color (I'm not an artist, photographer, nor Photoshop expert), but I found his treatise on color management in his CS2 book to be clear and understandable. He'll guide you through how to profile your monitor, printer, and scanner so they work in conjunction with each other, what RGB versus CMYK is about, how to use Apple's calibration utility, and much more. And that's only in the chapter on color management. He covers many other topics in the other chapters. I highly recommend his Studio Techniques books.

Last edited by vbrestorer; 10-24-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: underline book title(s)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo99 View Post
so Im assuming my camera should also be in SRGB.. right? instead of adobe RGB
Not necessarily. It seems most consumer level point&shoots, and most lower end DSLR's are sRGB; many higher end DSLR's use AdobeRGB. Simply examine one of the images from your camera to see what profile it saves in. You can easily see it in Bridge if you have the Metadata panel open.

So, if most of the work you do is with your own images, then simply set all of your working spaces to match your camera. It just makes life easier. You can always convert the images later as you send them off to whomever.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow