RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Epson & ps

Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 PM

Epson & ps

I have been battling color management problems for what seems like forever! I know i need to further educate myself on all the settings and calibration, etc. But, just when I think i have everything correct - all of a sudden a pic is just printing totally off. I spent hours on the phone with an Epson support guy ( I use an Epson stylus photo 2200 printer) which ended up with basically a statement that suggested that photoshop can override and conflict with some epson color settings sporadically, even when ps color management is turned off. Anyone know anything about this? I can't tell you how much paper and ink I waste changing settings 3 times to see what will print correctly. I'm usually just printing family stuff but i do have the occasional outside project to work on & it's terribly frustrating to have this all messed up.

Any thoughts? suggestions? Any truth to the Epson/ps weird incompatibility statement? thanks for any help - really! you guys are awesome
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2010, 11:24 PM

Re: Epson & ps

Hi Delph,
Getting good prints can be a real headache, but it's doable. Before I can really go very far answering some of your questions, I have a few of my own for you -

-Are you using PC or Mac ( it's just a little different setup to explain which settings to use and where to do them, I can send screen captures of my settings)

-What paper are you printing on, and are you using more than one kind?

- What printer profile are you using?

-What rendering intent are you using?

-Is your monitor calibrated?

-What graphics card are you using?

Haven't heard about PS conflicting with the printer software, but you should NEVER let the printer software manage colors, you should always be set to 'Photoshop Manages Colors'.

If you could answer some of the above questions, I think I can get you started making some nice prints. There are a number of steps involved in getting it right, but the good news is that a lot of these settings can be saved within the printer software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 AM

Good luck and amen delph. I too use/used an Epson 2200, and while it prints/printed great sometimes, others are/were a wash even with calibration and an expensive trip to Epson for repairs. I've wasted more on ink and paper than the prints are worth; and for that reason now use a commercial printing service for the important jobs. My next printer will be another brand with a better keep rate.

BTW, this particular printer is known for not recognizing new cartridges. Good luck with that problem when it occurs. I've had that one too.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM

Hello holgaman, here is the info you need
I use a pc with ps elements 6.0
I use Epson premium Photo paper - Glossy & semi-gloss
Printer profile = Epson Standard
rendering intent - perceptual
monitor is not currently calibrated. I can get to that task! however, i'm not sure it's the issue. I just printed some pics and 4 out of 5 were great, 1 was really really green but all 5 of them looked great onscreen. It could be part of the problem, i just don't know enough
graphics card = NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (is this the graphics card?)

when i printed my recent pics, i let the printer software handle the color. it's my usual trial and error, print my pics 3 different ways to see what works method. It seems to work more often letting the printer handle it.

Hi Janet Petty! thanks for the comments! I was seriously starting to stress out and have moments where i questioned my intelligence and sanity. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Next time I guess i will do a little more research before making such an expensive purchase. Any suggestions on our next printer purchase? <grin>
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 PM

Hi delph,
I found a link to Epson's recommended settings that I think explains things pretty well, better than I could. I figured out that sending screen shots really wouldn't help since I don't have Elements or the 2200 software -
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/E...p?oid=42114986

There are profiles of different papers there and a PDF explaining how to use them. I'm not familiar with PS Elements, but hopefully you are able to input the correct settings you need. If not, maybe try downloading a trial of the newest version and see if things are any different for printing.

Your printer profile should be set to whatever paper you are using as each paper responds differently to the inks. Those profiles can be downloaded free from the link above. Most any paper manufacturer has a section on their website that will allow you to so the same. These are usually pretty decent, the very best way is to get a custom profile made for each paper you use. The ones I use are $25.00 each but have saved me many times that in time, paper, and ink.

The perceptual rendering intent is good, that's the most common.

The screen calibration is very important. If you're not seeing the correct colors, brightness, and contrast on screen, your adjustments in PS will also be off, and your prints will not be what they could or should be. The only reason I asked about your graphics card is the first time I tried a serious calibration with hardware/software I got very bad results and finally figured out that I had a cheapie card that just wasn't enough for what I needed. You have a great one, no worries there.

Always make sure you let PS handle the color, it's much more sophisticated at that than the printer software. Once you have the profiles installed you can also view the image on your screen (at least in PS, not sure about Elements) with View> Proof Setup and choose your specific paper profile. This lets you see how things should print (provided you followed the correct settings) and make needed adjustments.

Also, never judge a print right out of the printer. Even though the inks are dry to the touch, the colors will take about an hour or more to settle and won't really be accurate until then.

I'll be out of town for the next couple of days, so I'm not ignoring any other questions, I'll respond as soon as I can. Hang in there, we can make this printer behave.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 PM

It's been a little while but i got my monitor calibrated....tried everything you said & tried to print a couple of simple pics for my preschooler to take in to school for a project and they were horrible! the green and red cast seem to be replaced by a bluish cast. I'm gonna throw my epson printer out of the window.....I am so frustrated
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 PM

hought I'd share some of my experience. I've been using CS3 along with an Epson 2880. I do mostly B&W - some tinted, but also studio portraits and landscapes in full color. I've found the answer for me was consistency in my settings within photoshop. Of course I use several different papers depending upon my own judgement, or an individual preference of the customer. With color prints I always leave the profile at srgb colorspace within the printer dialogue box. I also let the printer manage the colors. By keeping a consistent workflow, I achieve more consistent results with the final result. Of course there are exceptions depending upon what I need, but by and large the above formula works best for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 AM

Delph99,
Sorry for all your frustration. I wish I knew more about Elements 6 and what controls are there. If your prints now have a bluish cast I would recommend getting the photo the way you like it on your screen and save it. Then add some yellow overall and try a print. If it looks good, save the adjusted file with a new name that indicates it's for printing. If the bluish cast in your prints is consistent, you should be able to apply the same adjustment to your other files before printing, maybe just add a sticky note to the edge of your monitor to remember what that adjustment was.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow