Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Converting negatives to positive problem.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Question Converting negatives to positive problem.

I have many (local interest) negatives. They have different sizes and go up to 8x10. I have an Epson 4490, which does have the negative materials, but it is limted on the sizes. Does anyone know another good alternative?

Thanks for your help. Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Re: Converting negatives to positive problem.

Hello Tony,

Have you tried the following software:
I have had excellent results with it but would suggest that you scan in 16 bits per channel as your input. It will take a bit of getting used to but will be worth it in the end. Failing this if you can get a time limited version of Silverfast then you can try the negative features on that?

I first used this software when freelancing at Goldenshot in the U.K. working on images for Juergen Teller, Dan Holdsworth, Gustavo Papaleo and others.

Paul Miller
e-touch creative services limited
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM

I made that mistake a while back getting scanner that was limited on negative sizes.. grrr.. should have been more patient but anyway
first a little background... most scanner as far as the size of negative they can handle is limited generally by the seperate scanning bulb and most time there setup for just 35 mm fil or slide... although in your case, i download a pdf file of that scanner, the bulb , which is in the hood is a little larger... but still limited on max size....

so basically you want a flat bed that the film/slide scanner is in the body of the scanner and not the hood... so that you can easily put any number and size of slides and negatives on the plate...

now the hp g4050 (180-200 bucks) appears to meet this criteria.. now it comes with template but... you made need to make your own template (place holders all they are) which is very simple to do....

i look at the epson lines.... had hard time going thru the various scanner.. i am sure they have some similar to the hp g4050 but i couldn't find it....

i also look at the canon lines... the ony one that look promising was the conscan 8800f there discription wasn't good enough for me and the pictures was enough to answer the questions i had... there maybe other there... i didn't look at the comercial lines they probably have some (and more expensive.. smiling..)

i hope that help a little bit.. good uck...

oh probably i am looking at the hp g4050 since i could find anyting else, when i buy my next scanner.. i have a lot of odd size and i am fed up with those 35 mm film/slide holders
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 AM

Thanks to you both for taking the time, it is very helpful. Tony
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow