Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Photoshop Cs 4 Export Problems

Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Photoshop Cs 4 Export Problems

I just have a simple question , hopefully followed by a simple answer ,
I've notice it happens quite often,
here is the situation, lets say I got a file I am working on and it's 96" tall x 48" wide at 120 dpi, now I've noticed there are times when I export the file as JPG for print production the JPG file opens up larger when imported into Corel Draw or Flexi Sign Pro or other software..., why is that happening ???,
lots of time it works quite well , or I just end up resizing the file back down in print production software... but it is quite annoying especially when you submit a file like that remotelly to some other party for production....
Has anyone lese encountered similar problems with Photoshop?

thanks for any replies.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Re: Photoshop Cs 4 Export Problems

It sounds like the software you are using to open the image is resizing the image for viewing purposes only. For example making your image 48 x 24 x 240. Hopefully it is not actually resizing and changing the number of pixels in the image. There are likely some settings in Corel or Flex that would open the image without resizing, but in any event you should confirm that the images when opened do have the same number of pixels.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Re: Photoshop Cs 4 Export Problems

The desired print size dimensions actually don't have much to do with the file. It is the resolution, or dpi that is most important. Since you say that the files are larger when opened, you must mean that the visual image is larger on the screen. Those programs don't add pixels to your image. You can take a high resolution image and downgrade the number of pixels (which is what happens when you save as a JPG), but you can't take a low resolution image and add pixels that don't already exist.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow