Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Black & White (off color prints)

Old 07-07-2002, 07:14 PM
End all well

Danny, the big thanks is that you eased the pain of feeling like an incompetent. These are pretty much the same words my co-worker said before I got this from you: “who'd a thunk that replacing your "color" cart would fix your BW problem?” I say “duhhhhhhh” now. Let us recall to mind the obvious when needed.

You have very good suggestions. I did the orig in color and then desat that one in particular because the yellow tape was too much to work around. I usually do the BW in color because I thought I could ‘see’ more – variations in pixels, whatever, when correcting. Now I can see so many more reasons to do it, thanks to you. I may have heard about certain tools not being available but didn’t know the criteria – very good info to have.

It’s certainly not your fault I was frustrated. I would’ve been messed up much worse, much earlier – or just in a pile of tears somewhere. It’s the trying/problem-solving that keeps me going sometimes. FIND A WAY, my other mother used to say. You have found a way. Hopefully someone will find a better way for you. You apparently have the skills to compensate, but it makes me angry when machines don’t do what they should. Out the window, I say, or get the axe. It never listens to me. I usually have to settle down and make nice.

I just hope I can find some time to go through the rest of the threads, as they are fascinating, and perhaps someday even be able to help someone else like everyone has helped me. Keep up the good work.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2002, 01:50 PM
I have found that when the shadows or any part of a black and white print goes green it is due to CMYK inks. I have a contact in Houston at Que Imaging. they are using an Epson 10000 with all grey scale inks, not CMYK. Hence no green tones.

It is not a very pretty site, but they have what you need.

If you call, tell them Aric from ADI sent you please.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2002, 02:48 PM
Hi Aric:

One of these days I'll be looking into a dedicated printer for BW; until then I'm stuck w/CMYK inks and their idiosyncrasies. At least now I understand "why."

Greatly appreciate your insights here and the contact reference.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2002, 05:04 PM
The reason is because this printer uses all four colors when printing black. It doesnt use just plain black like it would on text or the test pattern. You could come close to the right black look but it would change with a little time. I also find this rather weird duotone look when i send black and white to a Fuji printer as they use an rgb file and four colors. The Epson C80 pigment ink printer will print with just the black cartridge but it like the larger Epson archival printer dont print on many gloss papers decently.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow