RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Exporting B&W from LR to PS and get color banding

Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Exporting B&W from LR to PS and get color banding

Hi guys, Am having a bit of a problem exporting RAW images from Lightroom 3 to Photoshop CS5 (command - E). I am sending them 16 bit Prophoto RGB with no compression into CS5 (and staying in ProPhoto).

The problem is I am getting faint magenta, blue and sometimes green banding and posterization mostly in the skies or similar smooth transitions of light/color. This usually happens when there is a change in the contrast, doge burn, adjust darkness with colors (example convert to B&W then lower the luminance of blue to darken skies)

I also tried using Silver efex pro and am getting the same effect but without the posterization - smooth transition but with faint color bands. I have to convert to a greyscale profile to get the color banding out.

-The weird thing is the photos look perfect in the RAW viewer, Lightroom, ACR, and even tried Aperture. All have the same issue/ everything is great until I export to photoshop to do more touch up.

Do I need to just convert to a grayscale profile once it is in PS and live with it? Is this common? I have been search quite a bit and cant find a similar problem on the web.

Files are from a Sony Alpha 850 in standard colors setting.
Mac Pro, and monitor is calibrated.

Here is a link to the photo (cropped), http://jaminson.com/Samplestuff/_DSC0771crop.tif.

Please download! the pic and then open in Photoshop to see the color banding.

It will look great in your browser window, it Has to be downloaded and viewed in photoshop with ProPhoto Color profile!

Last edited by DigDeep_; 01-26-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: More info and a link
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 PM

Re: Exporting B&W from LR to PS and get color band

Want add that I was messing around and turned on the Gamut warning (set gamut color to red) and the color banding went away. Not sure if that means anything but.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 AM

A quick fix is to add grain texture which breaks up the bands. Naturally, mask the sky if it's not wanted globally. On a large file you won't need to add much and it is pretty well undetectable. Case dependent as usual though.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM

The question is, is the banding in the document or from the display? Is this on output?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 AM

It is in the document. (and is in nearly any document with a big sky that I convert to black & white, then darken the skies heavily by reducing blue).

Another weird thing is while in Develop in Lightroom there are no issues but when I click to Library - they are nearly as bad as when it is opened in PS.

I am currently out of ink so I cant print at the moment so I am not sure if it would show on a print.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM

OK, well I think I figured it out. It is a faulty Spyder 3.

I used Apples visual/eyeballed calibration in the display prefs and after going through it the colors are perfect B&W in all apps with no color banding. What the heck?

Colormunki here I come!

Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Wait, how can it be the Spyder 3 when you say its in the document?

As for previews in LR, they are created and used differently in Develop than the other modules. For the most accurate previews, you should be in Develop viewing at 1:1.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "in the document".

When viewing a photo that has been converted to B&W and darkening the skies (lowering blue luminosity) with the spyder 3 profile enabled I get color banding in the photo while viewing in PS or library mode in Lightroom.

When using the Apple eyeball calibration profile, the color banding and posterization is gone in all apps.

Really weird. I would think it would show the effect in all apps equally. They must read the file in a different way. What is even more strange is Library renders the photo different than Develop in Lightroom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Document, the PSD, TIFF etc. Banding can be in the data there, or it can be in the display representation of the data. IOW, there isn’t anything wrong with the data in the document, its how the document is previewed. Banding can happen in both areas. Useful to know where.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Then it is not in the document.

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow