RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Cal. ext. monitor -> web = crap

Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 AM

Question Cal. ext. monitor -> web = crap

Hi everyone - Yeah, that is actually what seems to be happening here.

When I edit an image to satisfaction on my ext. HP H-IPS panel monitor, sometimes when I pull it over on the laptop screen of my MacBook Pro, it looks really desaturated and too light/blown out. And of cause it would look similar on every other computer browsing the web seeing my stuff.

When I take a picture of mostly any other professional photographers site, they look pretty much the same on both monitors.
I figure it might be a gamut problem?

If I want a picture to look as I want it on the net, I used to redo it on my laptopscreen, oversaturating it, so it looked out of this world on the external monitor.

Additional info:
Both monitors are calibrated.
Doesn't matter if I work sRGB or ARGB
My stuff is primarily for web use.

So the q is, how do I get the two monitors to "work together" so I don't have do a double job!?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 PM

Re: Cal. ext. monitor -> web = crap

Color manage your output and make sure to embed a color profile that will help various platforms and browsers (if the browsers support profiles) give the same consistent result. In Photoshop, when you use the "Save for Web & Devices" dialogue under the file menu, be sure to click "Embed Color Profile." Also get a book and get educated about color management. Others on here probably have better book recommendations than I on that although I have a few titles that really helped make a very confusing subject make better sense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2010 View Post
Hi everyone - Yeah, that is actually what seems to be happening here.

When I edit an image to satisfaction on my ext. HP H-IPS panel monitor, sometimes when I pull it over on the laptop screen of my MacBook Pro, it looks really desaturated and too light/blown out. And of cause it would look similar on every other computer browsing the web seeing my stuff.

When I take a picture of mostly any other professional photographers site, they look pretty much the same on both monitors.
I figure it might be a gamut problem?

If I want a picture to look as I want it on the net, I used to redo it on my laptopscreen, oversaturating it, so it looked out of this world on the external monitor.

Additional info:
Both monitors are calibrated.
Doesn't matter if I work sRGB or ARGB
My stuff is primarily for web use.

So the q is, how do I get the two monitors to "work together" so I don't have do a double job!?
There was an issue with mac os 10.6 and two monitors / laptop and external monitor. For the first time the OS could not handle the both screens and the two according profiles. I am not shure if this issue is solved. There are still some minor issues with colour management on snow leopard...

You would have to choose the profile of the monitor, on which you retouch the pictures. Then the powerbook-screen is off, but should not matter.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madclark View Post
Color manage your output and make sure to embed a color profile that will...
I'm creative, I'm a photographer, I'm an abstract thinker!
I have a problem, I need fixed - now.
I do not have the time to selfeducate me as a retouchprofessional, neither do I want to. Guess the reason why this forum started in the first place ...Or I can't, because I'm all to abstract, I can't even concentrate on reading a book that sounds good, so this would never work out

They are of cause embedded with the sRGB profile...!
"Save for web" has the box "Embed Color Profile" grayed out... And then here 2 hours later, it isn't grayed out, on the same image - how strange is that? (yes still embedded sRGB)
The preview in browser, is also spot on the preview in the "save for web" now. Super strange... (it wasn't at all two hours ago, and haven't changed anything)

Well anyways, an image in a limited colorspace like sRGB, if I understood my knowledge on this point correct, it would show pretty much the same on my two calibrated screens, with a bit better rendering on the external most likely.
But if an sRGB looks good on external - it looks like crap on the MBP and any other lowend monitor.
If it looks presentable on the MBP, it looks out of this world on the external monitor!
So how do I "proof" the image, so I can edit towards a usefull result on my external monitor the first time?

Last edited by dude2010; 03-04-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsfather View Post
There was an issue with mac os 10.6 and two monitors / laptop and external monitor...

You would have to choose the profile of the monitor, on which you retouch the pictures. Then the powerbook-screen is off, but should not matter.

Good Luck!
Ohh no..

Choose the profile?
If I look in "screen" the two screens have each their profile from the greitag sofware!?

It looks like I'm gonna need that luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2010 View Post
Ohh no..

Choose the profile?
If I look in "screen" the two screens have each their profile from the greitag sofware!?

It looks like I'm gonna need that luck.
Look here:
(That is the same I recognised when I used a 2screen setup)

"In 10.5., the user was able to arbitrarily define the primary monitor (under colorsync utility) regardless of the toolbar positioning (under displays), and 10.5. did not suffer from this gamma-shift issue.

In 10.6.*, the aforementioned functionality is gone, implying that assignment of color profiles in a multi-screen setup is handled differently (erroneously) by colorsync, effectively making color-accurate work across multiple different screens (MBP/iMac + external screen, for example)"impossible.

for complete info read the posts here:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/me...ageID=10225673

http://discussions.apple.com/message...ageID=10910253

Good Luck!
I like Apple. But I am concerned that such issues will not be solved as quick as they should.
Apple now makes money with post pc devices.
Seems they put all effort there... IPad2 etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 AM

You have to calibrate both displays for a match, that is, the targets (luminance, white point) may be quite different in values to produce a visual match. And if the main display is a wide gamut unit, the 2nd not, that’s going to be somewhat a problem in terms of viewing out of gamut colors on the 2nd unit. I’ve seen zero issues with dual display calibration under 10.6 so I’m not sure what these other folks are reporting. If anything its an isolated issue. Lastly, if you have two displays, one being wide gamut or being much superior in terms of color reproduction, and you want it to match a lesser display, you have to work towards the lower common denominator which is not ideal. IOW, you have to make the main display look as poor as the secondary display.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow