RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

info: v500 negative/slide scanning issue

Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 AM

info: v500 negative/slide scanning issue

hi,
Recently was helping out some one with a unusal scanning issue with slides and negative film strips and i thought i share...

the issue is that parts of two frames of a 35mm film strip will show as one frame when scanned...

initially a friend bought a epson 3490 series scanners and the epson teck said the problem was a bad scanner and then the person replaced that with a epson v500... but the same problem!!!!!

now i did a search on this issue.... and found out other people had the same problem with the epson v500 ... there were suggestion on fixes and sometime they apper to work but overall none consistantly worked and end up with other issues....

the friend went back to epson tecks.... sent sample film strip in to epson to look at them... now the only thing they mentioned was the frames were to short by 9mm??? nothing else they can do.... and that was it, no other solution was given her . other than just cut the film strip and scan just one fram at a time...

i did a little a little more research.... and i think i found whole story on this issue....

First... the film strip although it is a 35 mm film strip (which only tells you it the width of the strip) her film strips were 126 film!!!!! and not 135 film strips... the difference is the frames sizes .. 126 film the frame size is 28x28mm where as on the 135 film frame size is 24x36mm ...!!

With that in mind... apparently this is a flaw with the espson scanning software .. since the way it is designed.....
1. it only designed for scanning 135 film strips and 135 slides and not 128... scanning many slides of a of a differenet size would cause possible issues...
2. and more important the software appears not to allow you to manually adjust the scanning box of a frame!!! I don't think i like that idea..

anyway i thought I share it just in case anyone else has this issue...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 PM

Re: info: v500 negative/slide scanning issue

i wonder if vuescan supports that scanner?
On the nikon scanners,you can adjust the frame when they capture parts of the edge or half and half slides/negs, until it gets it right when using vuescan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 PM

hi,
I don't if that would work.. my hp is like the nikon, you can adjust the scanning windows.

that was one of the first things she look for doing in the epson v500 and it appears it didn't have that ability...

she sent me a couple of screenshort of what the prescan look like and and there was no adjustable box.....

i was thinking of getting a epson for my next scanner but with this issue and i can't adjust the prescan box..... to me that not good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotter View Post
i wonder if vuescan supports that scanner?
On the nikon scanners,you can adjust the frame when they capture parts of the edge or half and half slides/negs, until it gets it right when using vuescan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Patron

Jerry, Un-click 'Thumbnail'... click 'Preview'.... On the preview... position the cursor and draw a rectangle in the area you want scanned....(use the zoom box with the magnifying glass in the upper left of the preview screen if using Half frame 35 or if needed) back to the 'Target Size' box and change to what ever size you are using instead of "original".... back to the "Preview and move the sides of the new rectangle to cover what you want.... then click SCAN

As a side note you can make multiple scan areas by using the 'Copy Selected Marquee' box... moving the copy.. and resizing by dragging the sides
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 PM

hi oldbaldy,
Thank you very much for your reply... I'll pass that on to her... why couldn't the epson teck tell her that....??? they told her just go ahead basically and cut her negatives... grrr... smiling... again thank you...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Patron

OlBaldy's solution will work and if you do want to try other software Vuescan will work with this model - I use it.
Epson techs probably not old enough to remember 126 size
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM

hi tony,
thank you very much for that info that vuscan compatible with the epsons..

I am just curious is it better than the software that come with epson... or better in certain areas than the epson software..? and can it choose mult frames with in strip or among several slides...? alhough i think i very valuable for this person i am helping... i am still debating weather to get a epson because of this scanning issue ... thinking might get the epson but use a third party software...

and on the teck... I can understand that.. smiling... most young tecks have tunnel vision.... and it take a couple of years of them getting caught with thier pants down...lol.... before they really learn.... on looking at all possiblities and solutions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
OlBaldy's solution will work and if you do want to try other software Vuescan will work with this model - I use it.
Epson techs probably not old enough to remember 126 size
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Patron

Hi Jerry
IMO the Epson software is pretty good and does everything I need. Vuescan is similar in functionality (not aware of what it may or may not do better than Epson). While the interface looks perhaps a little dated Vuescan may in fact be easier (more intuitive?) than the Epson supplied software. I believe like the Epson it can select multi frames by user choice. I do not think there is an issue to do what you want - but will try and check it out just in case I am in error

Why not give Vuescan a go? A trial version is available for download then if you like it you can purchase serial.
http://www.hamrick.com/abo.html

If you are looking for third party all singing all dancing then Silverfast would seem to be the most comprehensive (and I think the most expensive)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2011, 05:55 PM

Hi tony,
thank you again for the info...

did a quick look at the silverfast and your right from what i see, good and it a expensive program although it appears they have light version that under 100 bucks.. smiling....

found some good comparison threads like this one, http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001tBR , but it old ..... so things maybe have changed quite a bit as far as vuscan...

I think i will download a demo.... i am in the process of getting a new system and everyting.... including upgrading of my very old but good cs1 to cs5... smiling , that going to hit my pocket book hard...lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Hi Jerry
IMO the Epson software is pretty good and does everything I need. Vuescan is similar in functionality (not aware of what it may or may not do better than Epson). While the interface looks perhaps a little dated Vuescan may in fact be easier (more intuitive?) than the Epson supplied software. I believe like the Epson it can select multi frames by user choice. I do not think there is an issue to do what you want - but will try and check it out just in case I am in error

Why not give Vuescan a go? A trial version is available for download then if you like it you can purchase serial.
http://www.hamrick.com/abo.html

If you are looking for third party all singing all dancing then Silverfast would seem to be the most comprehensive (and I think the most expensive)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow