RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Digital darkroom - setup advice

Old 05-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Patron

Re: Digital darkroom - setup advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
Solution Tony; put the books in the loft, ditch one printer and one monitor. How often do you use a flatbed scanner? To make a living all you need is a pooter, a wacom, decent BB and MailBigFile. A nice desk from ikea and a decent blind will set the tone. Try it - you can always go back! Ditching stuff is liberating and you'll score some brownies with SWMBO!
R.
I will not let SWMBO see this as she is sure to agree with you

Well I suppose the books in the loft I could live with, that is if I could find space there along side other treasures such as old darkroom equipment a Kodak 5x4 monorail and other things I keep (hoard?) just in case they either become fashionable, priceless or I have the urge to dabble in the old dark ways again!

I am working with one monitor at the moment and just feel that there are benefits to be had in freeing up screen estate for working and having panels in the other or even for viewing reference material.

As to the scanner well I have not used it much over the last month but apart from scanning negs and prints I do use it for the ocassional fax and as a home copier. I just feel that should it be put away the need to use it will follow 'sods law' i.e. the need will be inversely proportional to how awkward it is to get to.

I shall keep the scoring brownie points in mind and in reserve

Believe it or not I do know that ditching stuff can be liberating, but I just cannot bear to ditch at least some of this at this moment in time
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2011, 03:26 AM

Was their ever a photographer who wasn't a hoarder!
Most studios I visit look like Steptoe's yard - fun though. I can see your missus has a job on her hands Tony! Ever thought of taking desk space in a studio?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2011, 04:38 AM

Just an Idea: I you could put your displays on the wall (Like LCD TVs), you could build up a very narrow desk with a sliding space for keyboard and wacom and push the concept of drawers on castors to the limits with this kind of trolley:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00058487
where you can fit the whole stuff (Scanner/printer/lightbox/electro-cardiogramm) and set up an electrical hub for the whole bunch. In that way you may think of your desk just about a space for your hands and elbows (and occasionally a sheet of paper) that would be about 50 cm wide....

I am also looking at other trades where space and clutter free desk are the routine , I'm thinking Dentist assistant (High chair with castors, higher and narrower desk with a space for the legs the rest to be drawers and shelves)
http://www.charitos.gr/images/iatreio-P1010560.jpg

You can also put shelves against the wall (for books), put the lightbox on the wall as well, (like a radiologist one) etc...etc...

Last edited by 4personnen; 05-08-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
Was their ever a photographer who wasn't a hoarder!
Most studios I visit look like Steptoe's yard - fun though. I can see your missus has a job on her hands Tony! Ever thought of taking desk space in a studio?
You are correct SWMBO does ocassionally have a job on her hands . Although to balance the equation I do try to accommodate her wishes and idiosyncrasies and I believe we have got the balance about right.

4personnen, I am considering a wall mounting system for the monitors and a narrower than normal work bench. The trolley idea I think is workable as well although the one in your link reminded me too much of clinical hospital trolleys

I wonder if I could get away with ordering this Ultra Modern Workstation and when it is noticed just saying 'what this old thing I have had it ages'.......well maybe not.

The dentist link you posted looks to have great potential as a workroom if only I had the space.

Shelves for books etc on the agenda. I think the lightbox built into the bench is better suited for photography than radiology light boxes. These type have a plastic clip mechanism at the top for holding x -ray film from 10x10cm to 35x43cm and although they do the job well for holding the much thicker x-ray emulsion they never feel as comfortable if you need to look at images through a loupe. Nor do they hold conventional film quite as securely.

Great ideas though and please keep them coming
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 AM

What I said about the dentist thing was not to be taken as is...more like a think outside the box type of things. Unfortunately, no other trade came to my mind but I'm sure there are some ideas to be taken in others workspaces with limited potential (space shuttle, war bunkers, submarines, race boats, caravans?). I'll try to have other ideas, if the flow dare to come.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2011, 07:07 AM

I found some set-ups based on swivel desks on line:
I throw them at you in no particular order In case it gives you some ideas....

http://homedesigndecorating.com/wp-c...ice-Chairs.jpg

https://images.furniture123.co.uk/F1...k%20Accent.jpg

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...%3Disch&itbs=1

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...%3Disch&itbs=1

HTH!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Patron

Thank you 4personnen. They do indeed give me some ideas. In fact until your post I was not aware that these existed.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow