RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

after watching "Color Mgmt" Andrew Rodney

Old 05-05-2011, 06:12 PM

after watching "Color Mgmt" Andrew Rodney

I have some questions after renting the the 6/26 "Color Management" show by Andrew Rodney. Thank you Andrew and Doug. With Fine Art reproduction in mind and also generally. Should I work in 16 bit ProPhoto in PS CS5 even though they are not native to my 8 bit, Adobe RGB (1998) RAW and TIFF captures, Canon 7D and Epson GT-20000, respectively? Also, I was assigning custom profiles I created and then converting to my working RGB, which is Adobe RGB (1998) as my "Color Management Policies." After viewing the show I got the sense that I should be assigning only. Is this best?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Re: after watching "Color Mgmt" Andrew Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by michely3k View Post
Should I work in 16 bit ProPhoto in PS CS5 even though they are not native to my 8 bit, Adobe RGB (1998) RAW and TIFF captures, Canon 7D and Epson GT-20000, respectively?
Raw files have no color spaces until you render them. I don’t know what converter you are using but assuming an Adobe converter, its working internally in ProPhoto RGB, so might as well use that. Raw files have more than 8-bits per color too so might as well encode in 16-bit (ProPhoto RGB).

This might help too:http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdf...p_colspace.pdf
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2011, 04:39 PM

What about TIFFs? I should color profile all my devices in 16bit Prophoto RGB also?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
What about TIFFs? I should color profile all my devices in 16bit Prophoto RGB also?
Where did they come from, what was the original color space? There is nothing to be gained from converting from a smaller to a larger color space.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 PM

The TIFFS are coming from Epson GT-20000 scanner. unfortunately i'm not connected to scanner so I can't see the color settings. Same goes for bit depth right? Nothing gained from 8 bit to 16 bit. So if my TIFFs off the scanner are 8 bit Adobe RGB then profile with those same specs. Also for setting Luminance in monitor calibration, is it a metter of dialing it in while comparing to print out/original in the "viewing conditions" that meet a standard. I'm using Xrite eyeone for the monitor calibration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Somewhere the scanner has to be producing a color space and that’s what you stick with or alter (same with bit depth).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Nice. thanks. So the Luminance setting for monitor calibration has to be dialed in while comparing to original/print in the viewing environment?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Nice. thanks. So the Luminance setting for monitor calibration has to be dialed in while comparing to original/print in the viewing environment?
Yes, exactly. Same with white point.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow