RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Calibrate BenQ E2220HD 21.5-inch Wide LCD 1080p

Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 AM

Calibrate BenQ E2220HD 21.5-inch Wide LCD 1080p

Hi Guys and Girls,

I need to calibrate a BenQ E2220HD 21.5-inch Wide LCD 1080p. for retouching. Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap calibrator. Or does anyone know a quick and dirty alternative (As I have some urgent work to do). To improve this monitor colour. At the moment it's quite dark..

Thanks

lister
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 AM

Re: Calibrate BenQ E2220HD 21.5-inch Wide LCD 1080

Hi Lister and welcome to the Forums.

For hardware/software products check into Xrite products and particularly ColorMuki Display http://www.xrite.com/home.aspx

If you want to go for much less accuracy yet better than nothing you can use the OS Color Calibrators.

Here is the one mentioned by Windows 7 OS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...e-your-display

The one for the Mac is found in System Preferences under "Displays" then "Calibrate"

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Patron

HueyPro by Xrite is a very low cost solution. Better than calibration by s/w & your eyes, but not as sophisticated or accurate as their higher end products.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 AM

I'd take uncalibrated over a poorly made profiling device. Their repeatability and unit to unit variation is pretty poor. They drift over time, and do not consistently produce a neutral greyscale in my experience. It seems like a waste of money at that end, especially when this is to calibrate a TN panel which is unlikely to adjust well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
I'd take uncalibrated over a poorly made profiling device. Their repeatability and unit to unit variation is pretty poor. They drift over time, and do not consistently produce a neutral greyscale in my experience. It seems like a waste of money at that end, especially when this is to calibrate a TN panel which is unlikely to adjust well.
Unit to unit variability is one thing (and not important unless you are using multiple devices with multiple displays). Units that are inconsistent each use is a different issue and not good. But the two are vastly different issues! Considering that the target calibration aim points are based on a visual match, considering that the numbers you ask for are not necessarily what you get (you want 5000K, start heating the display until it glows), what is important is a consistent calibration and resulting profile. Most instruments do this far better than any human. An inconsistent neutral gray is really hard to evaluate visually! You need a known, reference grade measuring device that you use to measure the gray over time before you can accurately say the gray is neutral or not. You can’t turn off the visual adaptation that makes the need for instrumentation so necessary. Lastly, an uncalibrated display is as unstable as a calibrated display; displays are unstable devices. At least with a good instrument, you can calibrate the device to its desired behavior, then build that profile.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow