RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

What is the best dpi for A3 output?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Re: What is the best dpi for A3 output?

@ John

This kind of note regarding ,,scroll, is a very friendly gesture and suggestion that you take your own time and effort in helping other people. In this case me. So big thumbs and thank you's
I just have been introduce to full bleed. Step by step I am getting there.
How did you find this story? google suppose
By the way I have to ask same question my client asked me gloss or matt? What does your opinion and experience tell so far?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Your welcome Tomas
I found that article with internet searches when I was trying to understand the terminology aka "Full Bleed." After bypassing all articles about "blood letting" that one happened to pop up (as I recall)

As far as Matte vs Glossy that is a good question. I always go back to what the customer wants after they know what options can be supplied (Not sure what paper options your printer can provide as there are lots of types of Photo paper depending on what type of equipment your print service is using and stocks).

If the customer really doesn't know that is harder. I have no context to advise you. When I think of poster, I think in terms of volumes of prints. If this is just a single larger print then that is different. I would take into account where the image is going to be displayed and the feel you want. Glossy ends up being a little more saturated with a sharper feel yet you get killed by reflections (depends on environment). I think that is one of the reasons many opt for Lustre prints. Just some quick thoughts and I am sure there are others that could advise better than I.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM

John,

,,Glossy ends up being a little more saturated with a sharper feel yet you get killed by reflections (depends on environment). I think that is one of the reasons many opt for Lustre prints. Just some quick thoughts and I am sure there are others that could advise better than I.,, Very helpful as some things have to be taken in consideration about light in the space, reflection factor and other tiny bitty things.
I think I will go into clients apartment to and we both look for the space to hang it.
Seems that story becomes kind of tautological but in a good sense :
http://thebutcherblog.com/full-bleed/
Edit: Sounds like it is the origin

Last edited by nebulaoperator; 01-13-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Patron

The discussion Matt, Lustre or Glossy is an interesting one and I think the obvious answer is that glossy appears sharper than matt can be misleading in terms of inkjet prints at least.

The criteria for sharpness seemed to generally hold true for analogue prints on fibre based paper, however I believe that other factors effect inkjet printing not least of which is the way that the paper absorbs ink or the way that the ink sits on the surface. I believe although not experienced first hand that it is possible that due to these factors some glossy papers can appear less sharp than the manufacturers Mat paper stock.

If the print is going to be mounted behind glass then the choice of glossy vs matt may be irrelevant particularly if NR glass is going to be used. If not mounted behind glass or protected in any other way then perhaps Mat or Lustre should be considered as it is likely that it will not show dust and finger marks as readily as gloss stock.

I would also suggest that proper preparation for the media needs to be considered relating to sharpening. My guess here is that Matt paper may in some cases need slightly more sharpening for output than either glossy or lustre which will only be known once samples have been acquired on both types

Last edited by Tony W; 01-13-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 AM

@tony
Very valuable advise from you about sharpness. I suspect there will bematte. What is NR glass by the way? Thanks Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Patron

Sorry about the abbreviation, I was referring to Non Reflective glass or to use another name Anti Reflective glass.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM

@Tony
Not a problem What other papers to be printed on apart from fibre?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Patron

Fibre based or Baryta papers for inkjets try to give the feel of traditional analogue darkroom prints. There are so many other types of papers varying between manufacturers that the choices can be confusing.

As I believe you are sending your prints out then it is likely that your lab will have a limited selection of paper types. These should have been chosen to match their printers characteristics and allow them to produce the best results. Hopefully your printers will be able to either give you or show you samples of the paper surface and weight of the paper.

Weight and feel are likely to have less importance to you or the client if they are to be mounted and matted and under glass frame. What maybe of more importance is how they show the delicate highlights and shadow seperation in your images as even under glass this will be noticeable. A good printer will know this and be perhaps in a better situation to advise you of your choices by demonstrating the differences.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2012, 04:36 PM

@tony
Hi, I am late with my reply. So much to do and so little time. paper was chosen matte. I have to say shadows and highlights were very subtle and the gradients were clear and smooth to recognise. Printers were very helpful and demonstrating a professional knowledge from the start till the end. They even asked about the house, height of the ceiling and etc just t ogive the best possible advise. They simply cared about it. I had privilege to see my work hanged on the wall framed and under glass.We both client and me were very satisfied

Thanks Tony.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 AM
Patron

Great result and pleased that you have found a knowledgeable printer that cares about their work
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow