Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Lightroom and color space issues

Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Re: Lightroom and color space issues

Thanks for the input.

Actually, I've never used the Sponge tool. In the example in the video, I used a combination of a Vibrance layer (in Saturation blending mode) and an applied layer of the Green channel in Multiply blending mode selectively applied through a layer mask. The Vibrance adjustment (admittedly a blunt tool) let me reduce over all saturation to address most of the OOG colors, then add vibrance to restore saturation to the less saturated colors. With some fiddling you can find a balance that reigns in most of the OOG colors while retaining or enhancing the saturation elsewhere. I then applied the Green (or you could use the Red) channel in Multiply mode hidden by a layer mask. By gradually painting in the multiply layer where there are still OOG colors, it has the effect of darkening and reducing saturation and also adds contrast to the wispy details. Perhaps it's cheating a bit since I'm fiddling with contrast locally as well as saturation, but I feel the effort gives me the best conversion.

Ultimately, the real point of my post is to encourage people to be aware of potential conversion problems. Whether by using soft proofing and/or OOG overlays, or simply checking the image after conversion (or output from LR).

The vast majority of my images convert and/or print just fine, but there are a few that benefit from special care. If I'm not watching for those problems, I won't catch the few with challenging areas. Once I'm aware of a problem, I can then choose how to address it, or even choose to not address it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Re: Lightroom and color space issues

Hi cesdls

Thanks for posting the information. Sounds like you are taking good steps to get the image you want through soft proofing and specific compensating techniques. A couple thoughts

- There was not too much talk about rendering intents. Not all spaces/profiles support all the rendering intents yet the different supported rendering intents can sometimes make a difference (especially looking at printer profiles the perceptual rendering intent will compress the channel information just a little less if supported).

- In your images, it is also useful to look at the histograms with a selection around the most affected areas instead of the whole image. Also, it is useful to look at the luminosity histogram and not just the color histogram. The amount of luminosity detail that is lost (what the eye mostly sees as detail) is not as much as the red channel compression would imply.

This is all IMHO and thanks for sharing - quite interesting and useful.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow