RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

First Post: Question about Dell U2410

Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 AM

First Post: Question about Dell U2410

I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro and I ordered a Dell U2410 as a external monitor, which came in today. I calibrated my MBP and U2410 with a Colormunki calibrator, and I noticed that the whites with the U2410 are not really white. They are off-white/lil grayish compare to my MBP's screen. Is this normal for U2410?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Re: First Post: Question about Dell U2410

I don't know if this will help but I'm using a mini displayport to HDMI to connect my MBP to U2410
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 AM

Unfortunately that's meaningless. The brightest white you see on a display can vary heavily, and displays are not all made just to be run at maximum brightness. If you're not getting a neutral grey or white, that's a different issue, but it's typically verified by measurement. If it has a noticeable cast, I'd suggest that as an issue. Further you're comparing to the display on an Apple laptop. That isn't a great point of reference.They've improved over time, but the color isn't so great, and LED gives slightly different color from the ccfl used by the Dell (usually ccfl is considered preferable there, but that's just one aspect).

Anyway, what's the brightness measured and does it have a noticeable cast? Also when new those macbook displays are way too bright to make judgements on anything related to color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2012, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the reply Kav. While I was calibrating the U2410, I had to adjust the brightness all the way down to 4 (out of 100) to get the 120 cd/m2 white luminance.

After the calibration, all the whites on my screen are now "creamy." They're like egg white, and it's a lil too warm for my liking. I had a small collection of photographs that I admire from different photographers. Some of them have a high-key white background and all of these photos now have an off-white background.

This is probably a dumb question but if I raise the brightness after calibration, will it mess up "calibrated" color on my screen?

I read this (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm) before I calibrated my monitor, and I'm still confuse with the "Contrast Stability" part of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2012, 04:13 AM

I'm not sure how to respond. I don't know the hardware settings of that particular display. I don't think that one has any level of hardware integration where the profiling software would make changes to the hardware settings of the display. Don't worry about contrast stability. All it shows here is that contrast holds up at low brightness levels meaning the display doesn't look like mush when turned down (unless it crushes the shadows). The thing is you calibrate a display and it basically determines the response of that display and attempts to sort out any funky colors of non neutral greys. I'd try it with native gamut. If that's looking too warm, try sRGB. Set your color temp to 6500K or D65. If you're set to 5000K or D50, it would explain the warm issue. The lower white brightness is normal.

Calibrate at the brightness you intend to use the display. I wouldn't worry too much unless you're trying to match it to something, but setting it really high will make things like attempting color correction unreliable. The jumps just become too great, and it becomes too difficult to make determinations.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2012, 03:24 PM

I opened an all-white background in Powerpoint and viewed it fullscreen, and I noticed that the top left of the screen was white and then it gradually shift color to an off-white/warmer color towards the bottom right corner. I called Dell tech support and they're sending me a replacement. I hope I get a better one (fingers-crossed)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetouchingNoob View Post
I opened an all-white background in Powerpoint and viewed it fullscreen, and I noticed that the top left of the screen was white and then it gradually shift color to an off-white/warmer color towards the bottom right corner. I called Dell tech support and they're sending me a replacement. I hope I get a better one (fingers-crossed)
Panel uniformity on large panels isn't 100% perfect. Companies like Eizo and NEC use panel blocking algorithms to improve uniformity, but they're all basically LG mass produced stuff these days. Otherwise they'd be way more expensive. Look at it a few years ago. NEC charged $1500 for a 21" display then another $300 or $400 for a colorimeter and their software at that time (it's come down since) or I think it was around $2k with a hood and everything. Eizo charged $2800 with a hood and software, but they were using hitachi panels at the time. Hitachi isn't making them anymore . Bleh I wish I had one of those models. These dells are kind of mid range displays. They're basically the low end of anything reasonably good. On a side note, I'd completely avoid any Apple display. They make them look pretty but cheap out on a lot of internal electronics. I see so many problems with them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow