RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Soft proofing and rendering intents

Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 AM

Question Soft proofing and rendering intents

I thought I understood soft proofing and rendering intents until I was experimenting the other day! My understanding was that rendering intents (Relative Colorimetric or Perceptual) were ONLY used and ONLY affected Out of Gamut colours but I have discovered that even if there are no OoG colours when soft proofing an image (even with Simulate Paper White and Black turned off) there is still a noticeable change in the image appearance. What am I missing or what have I misunderstood about soft proofing?

Colin
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Patron

Re: Soft proofing and rendering intents

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKAJCA View Post
I thought I understood soft proofing and rendering intents until I was experimenting the other day! My understanding was that rendering intents (Relative Colorimetric or Perceptual) were ONLY used and ONLY affected Out of Gamut colours but I have discovered that even if there are no OoG colours when soft proofing an image (even with Simulate Paper White and Black turned off) there is still a noticeable change in the image appearance. What am I missing or what have I misunderstood about soft proofing?

Colin
No that is not correct. All colors (in and out) of gamut are affetced with Relative Colorimetric, Perceptual, and Saturation intents. For the Absolute intent, in gamut colors are the only ones not affected.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2012, 01:47 PM

Hi Murray
Are you saying that even if there are no out of gamut colours renderining intents are applied?
Colin
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 PM

The perceptual rendering intent will affect OOG and in gamut colors as it was designed to attempt a perceptual matching of such colors (all highly proprietary and different from profile maker to profile maker). Relative Colorimetric (and it’s cousin which is identical expect for the mapping of white) clip out of gamut colors to the nearest colors in gamut.

http://digitaldog.net/files/Gamut_Cl...ompression.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKAJCA View Post
Hi Murray
Are you saying that even if there are no out of gamut colours renderining intents are applied?
Colin
Perceptual aims to preserve the visual relationship between colors so it's perceived as natural to the human eye, even though the color values themselves may change.
Relative Colorimetric compares the white of the source space to that of the destination space and shifts all colors accordingly. Out of gamut colors are shifted to the closest reproducible color in the destination color space. Relative Colorimetric preserves more of the original colors in an image than perceptual.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Thank you Andrew and Murray for setting me straight, very much appreciated :-)

Colin
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Murray and Andrew those concise descriptions are about the best, clearest, and easiest to understand I've come across in a long time. Kudos to you for wiping out the hyperbole and cutting to the meat of the explanation so that the general populace can understand.

Janet
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow