RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

help to get great prints in a pro studio lab

Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Patron

Re: help to get great prints in a pro studio lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
I don’t. But lamination is part of the entire process and one should laminate the target used to build a profile. Or one should provide a profile with and without if that is how the product is offered. Lamination can play a profound role in the creation of the profile.
My experience has been that these labs send the prints out to a shop that specializes in lamination and mounting. They don't do any profiling of the laminated result. Having had hundreds of large size laminations done, I find the process of lamination really converts your prints from fine art quality to kitchen table place mat quality, regardless of the quality of laminate or finish (gloss vs matt ). So it's kind of pointless to get too picky about accurate soft proofing (for me anyway).
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Patron

Quote:
I don’t. But lamination is part of the entire process and one should laminate the target used to build a profile. Or one should provide a profile with and without if that is how the product is offered. Lamination can play a profound role in the creation of the profile.
Andrew,

That's true. That's actually also my point. Whether or not they should in theory, in practice labs don't do that (as Murray also points out). What I try to do for Mantra or others is to recommend:
  • Follow the ideal if you can and if it works for you (and if all parties involved are doing the ideally correct thing).
  • If parties are not doing the ideal correct thing, or if the ideal process doesn't work for you for whatever reason, or if something goes wrong, here is a set of suggestions that can help you get things done until you can do better.
Murray,

Thanks for the heads up on the lamination. I use a lab which offers a semi-gloss lamination on its Photographic Wrap product (they peel the emulsion from a luster print then affix it to canvas and wrap it on a frame).
The semi-gloss lamination looks almost exactly like a good luster paper (it's put on top of a luster paper emulsion) but with protective surface.

I didn't like the sounds of the gloss or matte lamination and now I'm glad I didn't go with either. The semi-gloss lamination looks very nice on the 30 x 40 photographic wrap I just shipped to a bride, although next time I'll increase the exposure by 1/4 stop or so prior to uploading.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 AM

by the way i did notice that many labs don't use inkejet prints
they use very expensive, costly machine that use ( chemistr) and only photographic paper , in this case profiles don't matter ,do they?

do you prefer ink with print paper or photographic paper ?

cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2012, 01:55 AM
Patron

Hi Mantra,

You're right. But profiles still matter. What a profile does is instruct the printing device regarding how to print your image file's colors onto whatever paper is used (or other printable medium like canvas, metal, etc.).

What soft-proofing is supposed to do (at least in theory) is use the paper's profile for the target printer to show us on our monitor what the resulting print will look like when printed on the paper. We can then make adjustments to try to get that print to look as close to the non-softproof window as we can. The softproof window is a simulation so the colors are not exactly what the printer will print, but it can be close.

I print most of my own prints. I use 100% cotton rag with luster emulsion, not photo paper (I use Canson Platine Fiber Rag). For sizes larger than 17x22 inches it depends on the print. For some, I have them printed on luster paper. After the print is finished the lab peels off its emulsion and affixes the emulsion to fine art canvas. For other prints I have them printed on fine art matte paper.

I intend to use more than one lab and I have a short list of labs I'm going to try for different things they do well.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 05-08-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Silver exposed paper (chromagenic) or ink jet (or halftone CMYK), you need a profile.

I prefer ink jet, at least on modern high end printers (I have an Epson 4900 as well as a 3880). The cost per print is much higher than the sliver route (ink jet paper and inks are expensive). But they have a wider gamut and last a lot longer. Plus you have far more options for paper surfaces.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
But they have a wider gamut and last a lot longer. Plus you have far more options for paper surfaces.

you know i knew the contrary, opposite

i mean about photographic prints should last a lot more
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Patron

You might be right, or maybe not, it's too early to tell. Photographic prints have survived more than 100 years. Especially black-and-white prints. Inkjet technology has been in existence only 10+ years at most.

So no one really knows how long inkjet prints will last. Inkjet life spans are estimated by a company called Wilhelm Research Institute. They bombard prints with ultraviolet rays, determine the amount of degradation, then use that to estimate how long the print will last.

So far their tests and estimations overall seem to point to inkjets lasting longer over time. They may be right, (and I certainly hope they are right) but only actual time will tell for sure

Last edited by RobertAsh; 05-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow