RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

NEC P221W Hardware Calibration? (Spyder Pro 3)

Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 PM

Re: NEC P221W Hardware Calibration? (Spyder Pro 3)

You want Programable if you are using MultiPROFILER or using hardware calibration.

sRGB
Standard color space used for the Internet, Windows operating systems and digital cameras. Recommended setting for general color management.
Adobe®RGB
Provides a standard color space used in high-end graphics applications such as professional digital still cameras and imaging.
DCI
Color setting for digital cinema.
REC-Bt709
Color setting for High-definition television.
HIGH BRIGHT
Factory setting. Highest brightness setting. Provides lowest power consumption when kept at factory setting.
FULL
Native display color gamut. Suitable for use with color managed applications. Use ICC color profile included in the enclosed CD-ROM.
DICOM
Medical settings for X-ray imaging view. Setting that conforms to the DICOM standard for the Grayscale Standard Display Function.
PROGRAMMABLE
For “MultiProfiler” software or the Hardware Calibration settings (some OSD settings are disabled).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I'm also very confused about black level and contrast, to what percentage do I leave this when calibrating?
Like white point, luminance, you would adjust to match a print.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 PM

So what do I want to use if I am using Spyder 3 Pro?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRetoucher View Post
So what do I want to use if I am using Spyder 3 Pro?
These are mostly questions that should be asked prior to purchasing hardware, not after. Without getting into an excessive explanation, unless they changed something recently, you can't hardware calibrate using that software. It would require spectraview. I've had better luck with X-rite than Spyder.

You're looking for a generic starting point, and you will have to realize this allows you a very limited level of control. If you can accept that and you're going for an approximation, run a profile after giving the monitor at least 30 minutes to warm up. Keep the spyder plugged in for at least 10 minutes before you profile. Try around 100 cd/m2. Don't mess with contrast or black levels unless you're trying to fix an issue. Considering the lack of hardware calibration with that software, don't touch them at all. Just leave them alone. White point native or D65 if that is problematic. Run a print at any lab if you don't have your own printer. They won't all be the same. Just run something to make sure it's not obviously way different from what you're seeing on screen. Do not expect a perfect match.

Also keep the lighting in your work area to a minimum at all times. It should be pretty dark.

If you want perfect, you're most likely looking at a small desktop viewing table for print illumination, wide format printer + RIP, etc. Then you are able to send out prints that show exactly how it should look. Without that you are approximating. Spending a few hundred on a display doesn't really change much. It just (hopefully) makes things easier to view as you can at least hit 'visually' neutral grey tones and a brightness range that isn't obviously too bright to be printed on any paper type.

That's the best I can describe it. It won't be perfect. My point was that the full brightness of these displays is well beyond what any paper can hit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 AM

I understand now I didn't understand Spyder 3 was not for hardware calibration! Thanks! Sorry for being such a noob at calibration until now all I had to do at school was plug in the device and check the calibration but never do a full calibration myself.

So basically unless I get Spectraview II my best best is Native mode with low brightness, correct?

If I had the cash, would this be what I need for hardware calibration? Is it compatible with my monitor?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ectraView.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 AM

You want to be using the SpectraView II software with the Spyder (I think it supports it) Again, the setting are all based on matching output.

To use a SpectraView without their software is seriously crippling the capabilities of this system. IOW, don’t use the Spyder software if you were.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
You want to be using the SpectraView II software with the Spyder (I think it supports it) Again, the setting are all based on matching output.

To use a SpectraView without their software is seriously crippling the capabilities of this system. IOW, don’t use the Spyder software if you were.
It supports the Spyder. I meant to say if he hadn't already purchased the Spyder, I would have suggested their kit with the i1 display pro. They've actually improved spectraview quite a lot from what it was a few years ago.

I can't find the links I wanted. While I agree you should go for a match to printed output, generating a good profile can at least ensure that your graphics card has a semi accurate depiction of the characteristics of an attached display. He was asking about matching different printing types, and looking over all answers, I think this is just going to confuse the guy.

Overall it's important to note that profiles describe devices. It's supposed to tell you what colors that display can produce, and no matter how much you tweak the settings, working on a bad display will not be fun. If he wants settings that aren't likely to throw him way off prior to the point of making final corrections for whatever output, going with something like 90-100cd/m2 max luminance with a D65 target, and all settings optimized for grey balance rather than contrast ratio (also working in a darkened room) should get him to a good starting point. The numbers are somewhat arbitrary there, but grey tones shouldn't look purple assuming a lack of influence from other light sources (note darkened room), and no paper white is going to really exceed that brightness level. Now in terms of getting it just right for output, you're going to have some final tweaking there, but it should be close enough to where it won't influence any really bad visual determinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRetoucher View Post
So basically unless I get Spectraview II my best best is Native mode with low brightness, correct?

If I had the cash, would this be what I need for hardware calibration? Is it compatible with my monitor?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ectraView.html
I think the software alone is more like $100. Had I seen this when you were buying it, I would've suggested the spectraview kit version which is $700 or so for display + colorimeter + software, especially if you didn't own the Spyder. Last I remember the Spyders cost $130 or so and the display alone is $500. It would've been an extra $70. There are certain advantages to these things. While Andrew mentioned matching a printer, displays are set to show things in a certain way. Their gamma behavior should closely match a gamma 2.2 curve. You should be able to hit a D65 color temperature within a reasonable tolerance. The display should be as uniform in color and luminance as possible. If you felt an area was too dark toward the edge, panned it toward the center of your display, and now found it looked lighter, this could quickly become frustrating when trying to adjust relative values.

I'm going to add this link. It shows spectraview. I can't find a buying link to software only. Last time I saw it, they were doing disks for $99.

Last edited by kav; 05-24-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2012, 08:04 PM

Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 PM

The instructions for Spyder 3 are really quite simple because the calibrator takes care of the color..
First reset your monitor to factory settings.
2nd Set the color setting to 6500K
3rd (assuming your software and Spyder calibrator are connected to your computer), Run the software and answer the questions like are you using an LCD monitor, etc. place the calibrator on the screen where shown and let it do its thing.

I tilt the screen backwards so the claibrator sits on the screen well without a scution cup.
Save the calibration at the end with a name you will recognize like NECxxx monitor calibration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babble View Post
2nd Set the color setting to 6500K.
A prefect WP setting if (very big if) it produces a visual match to the print you are viewing next to the display in hopefully a well controlled viewing condition. Very, very often, it produces a mismatch!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow