Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Advice for choosing the right ICC Profile

Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Re: Advice for choosing the right ICC Profile

Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
If you work in prophoto how do you go about adjusting for print on just a home printer and for web? Do you use proof colors, proof setup, or gamut warning?
Soft proof! Gamut warning is buggy and basically useless! It predates Photoshop 5 when there was no ICC profile support, soft proofing etc. IOW, an old and rather useless and buggy functionality. I show how using it in Lightroom (equally buggy) isn't very effective in this video on soft proofing:

I've long been a fan of Deke and he says that prophoto has the potential to cause problems in printing.
Yeah not really. I'd kind of dismiss this. Now if you wanted to create 'illegal' colors (numbers in ProPhoto that we can't see and thus not a real color), you could probably produce some document that would produce issues on some output device and this would also depend on the output profile. Super saturated blues that might shift magenta when printed (a common issue also due to the problems with Lab). But this is basically a scare tactic that should not apply if you are working with images from say raw data in a good (Adobe) converter. There are colors cameras can 'see' and record we can't but everything possible is done to filter these out. Deke seems to have latched onto Dan M and is now a super LAB fan. There are many issues with LAB that could be said to cause problems in printing!

I have to say it kind of baffles me because I'm basically working with colors that I can't see because my monitor can't show them
But many printers can! So you just work carefully, ideally on a wider gamut display when dealing with functions like Saturation or Vibrance. I discuss this at the end of the Gamut video.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Re: Advice for choosing the right ICC Profile

Andrew, thank you for your reply. I've watched both videos several times and I'm considering and formulating questions. When everything gels (hopefully tonight) and I can put my thoughts together I'll post them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow