RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Advice for choosing the right ICC Profile

Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 AM

Advice for choosing the right ICC Profile

Hi dear community,

I worked in ProPhoto because of the wider color gamut and stuff. But slowly, I have to realize, that it's not the best idea for me.
Mainly I'm producing my pictures for web or for sedcards and I'm just working with a HP2310ei, which isn't that extremely good when it comes to ProPhoto ICC.

My question is, would it maybe be an idea to work in Lightroom/Photoshop with the ProPhoto ICC and have the monitor calibrated to adobe RGB 1998 or will that cause loss?
Right now for the time, I have the feeling that when I have everything calibrated to ProPhoto, the pictures look flat and not that color intensive, but as soon as I just switch my monitor to Adobe RGB the colors start to pop out, even though it's still in Prophoto in PS/LR.

(See Pics)
http://www.pic-upload.de/gal-182126/3vjbic/1.html

Already thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 AM

Re: Advice for choosing the right ICC Profile

You don’t calibrate a display to a working space (like Adobe RGB (1998) ). Since Photoshop 5, the display conditions and the way we edit are files are divorced. Depending on the display type, you couldn’t get close to Adobe RGB anyway (and you don’t have to). The images in ProPhoto RGB should not look flat in ICC aware applications because the working space and the display are divorced. Outside ICC aware applications, it could look awful, you need to convert to sRGB and realize that outside ICC aware applications, what you see an what anyone else sees may or may not match!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 AM

Ah, big thanks!
That was always what I thought, that if you're working with a ICC Profile in PS/LR, you have to use the same for your Monitor. I was totally mistaken!
Thanks for making the obvious fact even more obvious to me :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericu View Post
Ah, big thanks!
That was always what I thought, that if you're working with a ICC Profile in PS/LR, you have to use the same for your Monitor. I was totally mistaken!
That's not what Andrew said. Your monitor profile is a separate issue. A calibrated monitor will have a profile unique to that monitor. Your working space (in PS / LR) should not be your monitor profile. It should be a profile best suited to your output needs. Converting to sRGB is a safe choice. much safer than ProPhoto if you want others to see your image similar to what you see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericu View Post
Ah, big thanks!
I think you should read this:

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdf...p_colspace.pdf
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 AM

Pericu, If I may, I believe I understand where the confusion is coming from. Your color space in photoshop is one thing. When you go into "Display properties" "Advanced" on a Windows computer the color profiles you see under "Color Management" are an entirely different thing. Even though you CAN find your photoshop color settings profile and point windows to it, you don't want to. The only way to have a monitor that is truly "calibrated" is to buy hardware specifically designed to calibrate your monitor. This hardware will create a color profile for your specific monitor. I use hardware by Spyder. If I ever replace my Spyder I'd use ColorMunki by Pantone.

In Lightroom I work in Prophoto (largely because in LR 3 I can't change the default color space, not sure about LR 4) in Photoshop I use AdobeRGB (because it is extremely rare for me to go back to LR for editing after I export to Photoshop) and then for web I convert to sRGB. Hope I understood the question and hope this helps.

Andrewrodney, great article. Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
Pericu, If I may, I believe I understand where the confusion is coming from. Your color space in photoshop is one thing. When you go into "Display properties" "Advanced" on a Windows computer the color profiles you see under "Color Management" are an entirely different thing. Even though you CAN find your photoshop color settings profile and point windows to it, you don't want to. The only way to have a monitor that is truly "calibrated" is to buy hardware specifically designed to calibrate your monitor. This hardware will create a color profile for your specific monitor. I use hardware by Spyder. If I ever replace my Spyder I'd use ColorMunki by Pantone.

In Lightroom I work in Prophoto (largely because in LR 3 I can't change the default color space, not sure about LR 4) in Photoshop I use AdobeRGB (because it is extremely rare for me to go back to LR for editing after I export to Photoshop) and then for web I convert to sRGB. Hope I understood the question and hope this helps.

Andrewrodney, great article. Thank you.

Exactly! There has been a huge misunderstanding from my side. Thanks to google/forums like these and internet at all I did get an understanding of the theme and I fixed the problem! :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2012, 04:47 PM

Everything you thought you wanted to know about color gamut

A pretty exhaustive 37 minute video examining the color gamut of RGB working spaces, images and output color spaces. All plotted in 2D and 3D to illustrate color gamut.

High resolution:http: //digitaldog.net/files/ColorGamut.mov
Low Res (YouTube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0bxSD-Xx-Q
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 AM

Andrew, great video thank you! Don't want to hijack the thread but I have a question. If you work in prophoto how do you go about adjusting for print on just a home printer and for web? Do you use proof colors, proof setup, or gamut warning?
I've long been a fan of Deke and he says that prophoto has the potential to cause problems in printing.
I have to say it kind of baffles me because I'm basically working with colors that I can't see because my monitor can't show them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Everything you thought you wanted to know about color gamut

A pretty exhaustive 37 minute video examining the color gamut of RGB working spaces, images and output color spaces. All plotted in 2D and 3D to illustrate color gamut.

High resolution:http: //digitaldog.net/files/ColorGamut.mov
Low Res (YouTube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0bxSD-Xx-Q
Andrew, thanks for the link and the great video!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow