RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Internet browser creates noise in my images

Old 10-27-2012, 05:51 PM

Internet browser creates noise in my images

I just took some photos with Canon 5D. When I upload it in full resolution (21 mpx) on the internet, digital noise appears (in any browser) in "fit to screen view". In Photoshop or Bridge, there is no noise. When I upload smaller versions of the images on the internet, everything is ok.
Is this normal? Why is this happening?

Here is one of the images in full resolution:
http://tinyurl.com/8ne4v8l

Smaller version of the same image (size decreased in Photoshop with bicubic sparper algorithm):
http://tinyurl.com/8oefjq3

EDIT: It seems that the amount of noise in the fit to screen view (in the internet browser) is the same as the amount of noise in 100% view. In PS or Bridge the noise is much smaller in fit to screen view than in 100% view. Why?

Last edited by santoro80; 10-27-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Patron

Re: Internet browser creates noise in my images

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoro80 View Post

EDIT: It seems that the amount of noise in the fit to screen view (in the internet browser) is the same as the amount of noise in 100% view. In PS or Bridge the noise is much smaller in fit to screen view than in 100% view. Why?
The noise is apparent at 100% because it is actually there in the original file. The noise is lost to an extent in fit to screen due to the huge downsize to fit in the screen bondaries - just not enough resolving power in the montior to see the small noise detail at this magnification even if it was there after downsizing.

Even though you have shot this at 1600ISO looking at your original, and only a suggestion but this type of noise can be introduced/enhanced by your Detail settings in Camera Raw. If Detail slider set too high and coupled with inappropriate Radius and Amount and inadequate masking then it is very easy to produce this type of noise even in lower ISO shots. Unless there is a good reason to post to web a full size image why not downsize to a proper size first and apply appropriate noise reduction and sharpening?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow