RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Differences between PCs & MacBook Pro retina

Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Unhappy Differences between PCs & MacBook Pro retina

Hi guys, I may have a strange question. It’s about the monitor calibration.

Do any of you know why there may be such a huge difference between a calibrated PC and Apple?
I currently have a DataColor Spyder4 Elite which I used to calibrate my:
- Dell U2410 IPS wide gamut monitor on Windows 7 and Windows 8 pro
- Asus G75 with a very good TN display on Windows 7
- Apple MacBook Pro with IPS retina display (the latest model)

Settings: All the monitors were set as close to:
- Brightness 120 cd/m2
- Gamma 2.2
- White point 6500K

For Apple MacBook Pro I selected Standard Gamut & White LED Backlight

Measurements. I also included the screenshots to see what I mean.
1. Dell U2410 - 100% of the Adobe RGB
2. Asus G75 - 96% of the sRGB / 75% of the Adobe RGB
3. Apple MacBook Pro Retina – 99% of sRGB / 77% of Adobe RGB

Now the same photos look very similar on both PC monitors, but they look very cold on Apple MacBook Pro. I used Photoshop CS6 to review the photos.

At first I thought this is the problem because you can see from the screenshots that Apple simply missing lots of color specter where the green and yellow is. I thought this is why the colors on both PCs (IPS and TN displays) are warmer.

But as soon as I calibrated the Asus G75 TN display I noticed it has a very similar specter as Apple MacBook Pro retina. So this is not it I guess.

Does anyone has any explanation why such a big difference between PCs and Macs? Is there anything that I should take care when calibrating Macs? I’m a PC guy BTW.

Or maybe can someone point me to some additional info. The problem is that all the information available about calibration admires the calibration process like something that would make colors equal no matter where do you look at a photo. But it looks that in practice that’s quite far away. I’m quite disappointed.

Thanks for any info on that topic.

Link to the mesurements screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rynioko77e8ri14/PCvsApple.jpg

Last edited by Inception; 01-21-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Re: Differences between PCs & MacBook Pro retina

If you did all three under Windows using the same software after they had adequate warmup time and only the macbook pro was way off from both in color managed applications, I would check that Windows is assigning the correct profile to each of the desktop displays. Otherwise it could be software + colorimeter, as some combinations do a better job with LED backlighting than others. If your concern is that the Dell looks a bit more saturated, it is capable of displaying greater levels of saturation in certain colors. Display something saturated enough on screen and you will see it if comparing side by side.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I was thinking that maybe Spyder4 could be a better choice for PCs but X-Rite calibrators may be better for Macs.

I know there are many X-Rite fans around but I had two of their calibrators in the past and I wasn’t satisfied with them on PCs. I have a Spyder4 Elite now and I think this is the best solution to calibrate my PCs.

But it could be that X-Rite calibrators may be better for Macs. I should try that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inception View Post
I know there are many X-Rite fans around but I had two of their calibrators in the past and I wasn’t satisfied with them on PCs. I have a Spyder4 Elite now and I think this is the best solution to calibrate my PCs.
That really sounds like a software problem. I haven't tried out X-Rite's window's software. I avoid i1 profiler in favor of color navigator.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 AM

It's quite likely you'll need vastly different calibration targets to make two different display systems on two different operating systems match. MacBook looks too cool? Alter the white point to a lower level until they appear the same. The only correct settings are those that produce the visual match:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...too_dark.shtml
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Hi I'm sorry, but I simply didn't get any notification about your post. Thank you very much for your info. I'll check it right now.

In the meantime I’ve got another calibration software:
http://www.basiccolor.de/basiccolor-display-5-en

It looks like this one solved many of my problems that I had with the X-Rite calibrators on PCs. Now I just have to try that on a Mac to see if it is any better.

But now that you mentioned to alter the white point I’ve got another question. How to find out which is the right one? The one on the PC or the one on Mac? Should I make the PC cooler (higher Kelvins) or Mac warmer (lower Kelvins)? This is what I’m thinking now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inception View Post
But now that you mentioned to alter the white point I’ve got another question. How to find out which is the right one?
The one that produces a visual match to the output, viewed next to the display. YMMV.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow