RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Can you help me improve my Post-Shoot Workflow?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM

Question Can you help me improve my Post-Shoot Workflow?

Hey everyone,
Now that I am starting to have more and more files from each shoot just being all over my Mac and looking like a mess I thought it would be a good idea to set up a workflow that helps me keep organised!

So far what I would do after a shoot is this:

- I'd take the CF card out of the camera, feed it to my Mac and copy everything on the desktop, I'd then put the CF card back in the camera, do a quick format and then open the folder which is now on my desktop via Bridge.

- I would look at each image put some colour tags on the ones that I like and then start editing in Camera Raw and then Photoshop saving a PSD file for each photo I would edit on my desktop. At the end I'd usually throw the finished file in a folder called Archive together with a JPEG copy.

Messy right?

I recently bought a Lightroom 4 upgrade and a 1TB External Hard Drive so I think it's the perfect time to start cleaning up the mess and doing it right. The thing is, I don't know where to start! Any advice? What should my workflow be like? I mentioned LR because I'm told that many people prefer it over Bridge these days? Is it as good as Camera RAW?

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 AM
Patron

Re: Can you help me improve my Post-Shoot Workflow

There are many tutorials on using LR and I would suggest that you could start by looking at Adobe TV and those videos by Julieanne Kost e.g. http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-st...g-your-images/

Lightroom's 'engine' is actually Camera Raw which is the same Raw processing engine as used in PS
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
There are many tutorials on using LR and I would suggest that you could start by looking at Adobe TV and those videos by Julieanne Kost e.g. http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-st...g-your-images/

Lightroom's 'engine' is actually Camera Raw which is the same Raw processing engine as used in PS
Thanks Tony, what is your workflow like? I mean once you shot a batch of images what's your first step?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Patron

Workflow is basically import the images into LR and at the same time backup images to a different HDD. Verify images before deleting from the SD card.

Then follow (loosely in my case) the suggested basic workflow Here

I am sure you will find your preferences will change over time as you get use to the application
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 AM

A friend of mine recommends automatically storing all my photos on twin RAID 1 hard drives, what do you think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Patron

Do you really need RAID is the question to ask yourself?

There is nothing wrong with using a RAID configuration but do not confuse RAID with a proper backup strategy.

You should preferably have 2-3 backup copies of important data on separate device

RAID 1 provides hard drive redundancy in the event of a drive failure. Two identical hard drives are installed, one is loaded with the operating system and all your programs and data, the other copies the first drive constantly called mirroring. In the event of one failing you can set the other drive to take over with no loss of data. The failed drive will need to be replaced asap.

Hard drives will fail, this is a fact! Hard drive failure is not a question of if but more of when.

The redundancy offered by a RAID array may be considered most important within a small business to keep running but it is definitely not a substitute for a proper backup regime to seperate devices and ideally one to be off site. IMO the benefits of RAID for a small volume user may be outwieghed by its disadvantages.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM

RAID 1 is not sufficient? I don't really have the possibility to backup off site as I only have my home to store things but in any case I live on the last floor of an apartment building in one of Europe's big capitals, flooding will most certainly not occur nor will fire as there is no gas in the building, earthquakes don't exist in that part of the world either.

I would think RAID 1 is probably sufficient, no? The probability that both drives would fail at the exact same time seems rather small.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRetoucher View Post
RAID 1 is not sufficient? ...

...The probability that both drives would fail at the exact same time seems rather small.
IMHO RAID arrays of any type are not sufficient to act as a total backup solution - you still need a seperate backup for your important data

As to two drives failing at the same time being small in theory I would agree but I have witnessed two drives failing in a RAID 5 array with catastrophic results to the data!

I cannot answer for your particular working environment or for what you really need. But in looking at your question I was of the opinion that you were thinking of a RAID array as being a backup.

I suppose you may consider the fact that it writes data to a separate disk as some form of backup but this is not the point of RAID arrays.

RAID cannot completely protect your data.

What RAID 1 will do is protect your data from a disk failure only and will give you an ‘instant recovery’ by immediately detecting the situation and then (it should) switch to your good drive so you can function normally.

If you can tolerate the small amount of downtime required to replace the failed drive and restore your data from backup e.g. Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image etc then perhaps this maybe a better option for you to consider

Usually a RAID array has one individual file system which is not good at protecting your data from things such as virus, file corruption, accidentally deleting files etc.

You will really need two identical disks as the entire RAID array performance would be based on the weakest drive if you do not match them. Although I have no evidence to support this I suspect there is no performance gain in using RAID 1.

With any RAID array you are adding another level of system complexity as it will need some form of controller which is another potential single point of failure.

Please do not misunderstand me here I am not condeming RAID and it may be a very good option for your needs, if these needs are to have an instant recovery option?

I am really trying to stress that RAID is not a substitute that can be relied on for data backup and that you still need to consider a seperate external drive for this purpose.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I'd take the CF card out of the camera, feed it to my Mac and copy everything on the desktop, I'd then put the CF card back in the camera, do a quick format and then open the folder which is now on my desktop via Bridge.
I wouldn’t format a card until I know all the data is good. For me that's converting to DNG which checks the data integrity during conversion. Just viewing the internal small JPEG thumbnails, even writing the files to the desktop isn't really enough. You can do this as you import into Lightroom. If you don't want to deal with DNG, at least having LR build 1:1 previews should give you some idea that the data is OK before you delete from the card.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow