RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Certified Contract Proofing on a budget!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 PM

Certified Contract Proofing on a budget!

Ok, so hardcore, certified, contract proofing.

In which cases am i likely to be asked for a hard proof these days? is it common for editorial or just advertising or perhaps it just depends on how high level the client is? I always soft proof with the destination profile anyway but of course this isn't always accurate enough. I see more and more studios offering proofs so it must give an edge and confidence for the client.

Can anyone enlighten me on the equipment and cost of a small, budget certified proofing setup?
Would I need; some proofing software, a supported printer (epson 4900?), supported paper, an i1 publish device, a technician to visit me, test my setup and give me a certificate to hang on my front door? Anything I'm missing?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2013, 03:13 PM

Re: Certified Contract Proofing on a budget!

Unless you are the one who will be doing the final printing, whatever form that may be, getting your proofs to match another press, which you have no control over, will not be simple and most likely have issues.

Last edited by Shoku; 08-20-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 AM

Thanks Shoku, I was just wondering about others experiences and processes of hard proofing, I don't think its realistic for a freelancer to have a setup for this because of the costs, variables and not to mentioned legal issues of the getting the proofs 'correct'
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Anything could in theory be called a contract proof. It's a contract between two parties (the print buyer and the printer). One could use an Epson. As long as the print shop agrees to print on the press the output to match (within reason) the proof, anything goes.

Anyone that pays for press work without a contract proof could be in a very expensive and dangerous situation if there's a mismatch.

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200703_rodneycm.pdf

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200704_rodneycm.pdf
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Well said, Andrew.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 PM

I worked on the prepress side for years, and three years of which were actually within a large commercial printing plant in the Northeast USA that printed hundreds of thousands of magazines. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

Do not even concern yourself with making any sort of "hard proof" or "contract proof" for a client. It's impossible for you to make an accurate proof for their press requirements unless you are constantly on top of profiles needed for the final run, and have almost day to day contact with the prepress department. If anybody somehow asks you for some sort of press proof, kindly refuse and defer to the prepress department that will be the intermediary between client and press. It is not your job at all. Just supply your image in Adobe RGB, not CMYK (repeat, not CMYK), and let them have at it when they convert.

That said, a smallish commercial printer would be a fun but expensive toy to have in your retouching office for personal work or printmaking for clients. Just a little knowledge about profiles is needed on your side, and a quality monitor calibrated to the printer output. The 4900 is pretty nice, but, the consensus over at Luminous Landscape is that the 3880, http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...80/Overview.do , is an incredibly reliable machine. The 4900, like the 7900 and 9900, is a little prone to head clog problems if not used very much. Do not be deceived by what looks like a low cost entry into printing at home. Epson makes money from ink and paper, and sells machines cheap.

Have fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Sorry for the delay, thanks for all your replies. I been very busy since sept, I spent a couple of weeks freelancing in a London studio and have been flat out since. At the studio they seemed to be making proofs for most ad/higher end magazine jobs and posting them out to clients, using a epson 4900 with a spectroproofer.
As you advise I think ill pass on doing my own proofs, ut will print out for personal use for checking. However I do wonder why so many retouching studio then do offer certified proofs if they're not in direct contact with the printers. (I didnt want to bother them too much asking too many questions)

On a slight tangent, if you're only submitting work in adobe rgb, how far do you go in correcting colour shifts and ink density if your not doing the conversion yourself?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl-retouch View Post
On a slight tangent, if you're only submitting work in adobe rgb, how far do you go in correcting colour shifts and ink density if your not doing the conversion yourself?
Unless you have the actual output profile and control over the conversions, you can't.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Thanks Andrew, so if you knew for example, an image was going into a conde nast magazine, which uses a fairly standard isocoatedv2 300%, would you softproof with that profile just to make sure its not changing too much and make relevant adjustments, rather than completely leaving any shifts in the hands of the magazine prepress/printer Or would you just hand it off without concerning yourself with that aspect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl-retouch View Post
Thanks Andrew, so if you knew for example, an image was going into a conde nast magazine, which uses a fairly standard isocoatedv2 300%, would you softproof with that profile just to make sure its not changing too much and make relevant adjustments, rather than completely leaving any shifts in the hands of the magazine prepress/printer Or would you just hand it off without concerning yourself with that aspect.
I'd never assume that any print output is 'standardized' and thus, without absolute guarantee by having the output profile and permission to convert that data, I'd leave the data alone. And unless I knew the other people in the workflow fully understand color management, I'd never hand them Adobe RGB (1998). That's a recipe for disater in the wrong hands.

What you could do is this: convert from RGB to this assumed standardized CMYK output, then BACK to sRGB. Hand them the sRGB data. What this would do is place all the RGB data within the gamut of the assumed output gamut while handing them something they can convert to CMYK. Yes it takes time and there's some data loss. But it will work if you know the people getting the RGB data are color management impaired. Let them convert and provide you specific documentation that does not hold you responsible for any color/tone issues on-press.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow