Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Camera Raw question

Old 01-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Re: Camera Raw question

Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
Thanks chaps. I am ashamed to say I haven't actually looked at the raw and the tiff with their attendant cast's side by side which is a good point: the photographers always send RGB and the AD often converts to CMYK. I'll check that out and report back tomorrow. My (purely intuitive) understanding of the problem is/was that the files are the product of different start points (raw vs tiff) and that an ACR preset will not translate directly to a tiff.
On a related note, when using ACR, Capture1 etc do you just adjust the sliders until you are happy with what you see ( trusting your display) or are there other factors you consider?
That sounds rough. If I had to do such a thing on a tiff, my first inclination would be channel mixer. Depending on the kind of filter, it still may come out odd compared to what it would be if shot without the filter even on the raw without more than once pass. I just find due to the way it works, it's easier for me to make some of the more extreme adjustments by specifying percentages of the input channels to create the adjusted version of those channels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 AM

Thanks for your valuable comments folks. Before going down this route I had discussions with the AD about the project and his preference was for me to fix it. There is often a bit of politics in Agencyland and I often find it is better to 'grant graciously that which cannot be refused'. I have been tinkering this morning and can get pretty close in one hit so I'm inclined to make small tweaks in PS later when getting down to the pixel shifting work. Klev, I have never used channel mixer for colour mods other than B/W conversions so if you can point me to a demo I'd appreciate it.
Some questions! After making a change in ACR, saving the file and returning to the Bridge 'Content' panel, each browse icon I click on, whether I open the file or not, is converted to the last ACR colour mod which is irritating - how do I disenable that feature. When I open ACR, I want to close the Bridge panel but it remains on the desktop. Can I close it down and how? Also, when using the ACR tools and the previous unwanted settings are still visible on my new image; what menu control 'resets' for a fresh start?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM

If I knew a good demo on it, I would point you to it. The same goes for if I find one later. I've found it to be effective for reasons of detail preservation compared to certain other options when it comes to making very large changes. There are certain details that must be adhered to. It won't necessarily accommodate color differences between shadows, midtones, and highlights that well when mapped to a new range, so it's not necessarily a one step color change You have to be careful with it, but it can be effective for significant color changes.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow